Link to the related website that has useful info: the Age of Nelson.

This forum is devoted to the Royal Navy during the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars (1793 - 1815).
And why not the other navies of the period?
To avoid spam, you must register to be able to post - it's free.

FAQ         Register         Profile         Search         Log in to check your private messages         Log in
Captured Danish 1807 warships
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ageofnelson.org Forum Index -> Hint and tips for researchers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
asger Nørlund Christense

Post Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Captured Danish 1807 warships Reply with quote

Dear Friends.
I`m a danish maritim historian and am gathering information about the Royal Danish Navy ships, that were captured at the second battle of Copenhagen in 1807 and subseqently brought to GB.
I`m hoping to put together a book about these ships, as there is a great interested in this in Denmark.

I would like to ask for advice as to which litterature I could consult directly and secondly, I would like to find the said vessesl logbooks. I believe, that these are kept at the National Archive in Kew, but how do you get to them?
Yours
Asger Nørlund Christensen
PeterL

Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw this. There are many sources of the information you seek. William Clowes "The Royal Navy" vol. 5, p215 has a list of all the Danish ships surrendered in 1807. It's available at archive.org. Below is a specific link to the page. James' "The Naval History of the Great Britain" may also have it. Both are standard reference works on the Royal Navy, and well worth having in hard copy form. I believe Clowes has been reprinted and can be had inexpensively.

If the Logbooks and Musters survive they will be held at the NA in Kew. You either have to got there to see them or hire a researcher, which may be the easiest if you're not familiar with Kew. It can be a slow process going through these, and you are only allowed three documents out at a given time.

Cheers, -Peter

https://archive.org/stream/royalnavyhistory05clow#page/214/mode/2up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ageofnelson.org Forum Index -> Hint and tips for researchers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1