Link to the related website that has useful info: the Age of Nelson.

This forum is devoted to the Royal Navy during the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars (1793 - 1815).
And why not the other navies of the period?
To avoid spam, you must register to be able to post - it's free.

FAQ         Register         Profile         Search         Log in to check your private messages         Log in
Captain Mansfield
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ageofnelson.org Forum Index -> Hint and tips for researchers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PMarione
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Captain Mansfield Reply with quote

Tony,

I checked your (very interesting) life of Captain Charles John Moore Mansfield at http://www.minotaur.org/captain-mansfield.htm.

How the hell did you get info from the "Naval Biographical Database" at http://www.navylist.org/.
This site seems very promising but I can't a way to find useful info out of it.

For me a elder brother of Mansfield was Lt Peter Mansfield, RN. You have Philip.
Who is right?

Have you more on his wife?

@+P
tonybb

Post Posted: Fri May 18, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Patrick

Navigating the "Naval Biographical Database" website is a bit of a challenge! All you can get on the site itself is a search on a name which gives you the number of hits in the database. You then have to pay for a report from the database, but if you are only researching one or two names the cost is low. There is no online or credit card payment so you have to post payment by cheque, postal order, etc. which won't be too convenient for you. From the search results page, some combination of "Continue" and "Estimate" buttons gets you to some payment instructions.

Philip is definitely correct for Mansfield's brother. I have his baptism date, their father's will which names all the living brothers & sisters, and I also have Philip's own will. There was another elder brother Thomas, who died in childhood, and there were also sisters Mary and Ann, but no sign of any Peter.

William, Philip, Charles & Barrington are in Syrett & DiNardo.

Where does your Peter come from?

One difficulty researching Mansfield which I have to keep remembering is that it is often spelt Mansfeild. The two spellings were pretty much interchangeable.

I do have more info on Mansfield's wife - dates, parents, brothers & sisters etc., but not in front of me at the moment.

Tony
PMarione
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri May 18, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Where does your Peter come from?

No idea.

So Philip it is and Philip it will be, including in the next edition of the Complete Navy List.

Thanks Tony.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ageofnelson.org Forum Index -> Hint and tips for researchers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1