Link to the related website that has useful info: the Age of Nelson.

This forum is devoted to the Royal Navy during the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars (1793 - 1815).
And why not the other navies of the period?
To avoid spam, you must register to be able to post - it's free.

FAQ         Register         Profile         Search         Log in to check your private messages         Log in
HMS Proselyte 1804
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ageofnelson.org Forum Index -> Age of Nelson

View previous topic :: View next topic  
millerfamily5

Post Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject: HMS Proselyte 1804 Reply with quote

Hi

This is my first post. I am seeking some help with the muster roll of HMS Proselyte.

The Royal Navy purchased the Newcastle collier Ramillies in June 1804 and commissioned her as HMS Proselyte in September 1804, having converted her to a 28-gun sixth rate in July and August.

My 2nd Great Grand father (Robert) Thomas Burnett joined this ship as an Able Seaman on 2 Nov 1804 according to his pay records. I am wondering if he was a merchant seaman prior to this as he doesn't appear to have been termed a Landsman or Ordinary Seaman prior to his first record with the Royal Navy.

Thomas appears to have dropped the use of his first name in the rest of his Naval Service when he transferred from HMS Proselyte to HMS Galatea in the Caribbean on 30 Jul 1805. He retired from the Navy on 30 Dec 1847 after may years as Acting Carpenter from 1808 to 1810 and then as a Carpenter on board various ships. His record says he was from Montrose in Scotland. He was born about 1778

I am hoping someone can help me who either has already been to the National Archives in Kew and researched this ship or who is able to do this as I would like to find out anything I can about his life before he began his career in the Royal Navy.

Many thanks

Richard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ageofnelson.org Forum Index -> Age of Nelson All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1