Link to the related website that has useful info: the Age of Nelson.

This forum is devoted to the Royal Navy during the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars (1793 - 1815).
And why not the other navies of the period?
To avoid spam, you must register to be able to post - it's free.

FAQ         Register         Profile         Search         Log in to check your private messages         Log in
Conrad - The Mirror of the Sea
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ageofnelson.org Forum Index -> Age of Nelson

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gbinga

Post Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Conrad - The Mirror of the Sea Reply with quote

Hello,

I am a new member on the forum, and am very much enjoying the posts.

As a (very amateur) age of sail history buff, I have greatly enjoyed Joseph Conrad's The Mirror of the Sea. The book is a collection of essays on merchant sailing, including thoughts about the change from wood ships to iron, and from sail to steam, among various other topics.

Conrad was quite a bit after Nelson's time, but he did live in the age of sail, and he was a wonderful writer.

Like many of Conrad's works, The Mirror of the Sea can be had for free if you do the "Kindle" thing, or economically if you like paper.

George
PMarione
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, George.

A great book and a great author.
I like "Heart of Darkness" who is the heart of Coppola's "Apocalypse now".
gbinga

Post Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like all the really great ones, he writes fiction with the ring of truth. The working men in The Nigger of the Narcissus are particularly vivid. Imaginary characters who lived over a hundred years ago, but I felt quite sure that I had met some of them in the course of my life.

George
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ageofnelson.org Forum Index -> Age of Nelson All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1