Link to the related website that has useful info: the Age of Nelson.

This forum is devoted to the Royal Navy during the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars (1793 - 1815).
And why not the other navies of the period?
To avoid spam, you must register to be able to post - it's free.

FAQ         Register         Profile         Search         Log in to check your private messages         Log in
Frigate name 1814
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ageofnelson.org Forum Index -> Age of Nelson

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chome

Post Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Frigate name 1814 Reply with quote

I've been researching some family history and in a memoir written by George Home, he mentions he joined a frigate in Rio de Janeiro, with an Admiral's flag, which had arrived from Perambuca. The Captain was the son of a famous Admiral, in fact "bore the names of 2 of the greatest naval men".
They sailed from Rio, calling in at Bahia and Perambuca (where they lost some men in the surf during a transfer). On the voyage home, they gave chase to the "Wasp of the Yankees" finally arriving at Spithead in October 1814.
I would like to find the name of the Captain, his Admiral father and the frigate.
I've searched, using lots of different terms, on Patrick's fantastic CD "The Complete Navy List..." without firm success.
Anyone got any ideas?
Best regards to all.
brian

Post Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Frigate Name Reply with quote

Charles!
1. Work I have done on S America (admitedly at a slightly later date) leads me to suggest that the captain is Manley Hall Dixon; the admiral father RA Sir Manley Dixon; and the ship HMS 'Nereus'.
2. The c-in-c of the S America Squadron in 1814 was Rear Admiral Sir Manley Dixon, whose son, Captain Manley Hall Dixon commanded HMS 'Nereus.' He spent most of the year in charge of a small flotilla watching the Argentine war of independence in the River Plate but was relieved in the (Engish) summer of 1814 by 'Inconstant'. .
3. RA Dixon commanded half a dozen frigates and smaller fry deployed in, and rotating between, various S American trouble spots. In 1814, they included 'Nereus', 'Iris', 'Tagus', 'Phoebe' (busy capturing the USS 'Essex' off Valparaiso), 'Briton' and 'Ceres.'
4. Dixon had no fixed flagship. He tended to remain in Rio de Janeiro and moved his flag between ships as they arrived at the station. Thus between June and September 1814, we know that he flew his flag in 'Inconstant' and 'Iris' since his despatches originate from these vessels. We also know that 'Inconstant' was sent to S America to relieve 'Nereus' which would have returned from the Plate to Rio then to England via Bahia and Pernambuco. It is perfectly conceivable that, whilst in Rio, she briefly flew Sir M D's flag. 'Nereus' was paid off in Deptford (I think) in January 1815.
This is what can be hypothesized from the secondary material available - but it may be wrong! If you are able, you will be able to find the exact answer to your questions in the National Archives, ref ADM 1/22 (Manley Dixon's despatches in 1814) which will give ship movements etc.
Brian
PMarione
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have another suggestion :
I suppose that the memoir that you refer too is "Memoirs of an aristocrat and reminiscences of the Emperor Napoleon" by George Home.
He gives another clue : "his own name sounded in a most Christian way, and I yet verily believe, that he was at bottom a most Christian man, had he be well treated".

So I suggest Captain Hood Hanway Christian (later Rear-Admiral), eldest son of Rear-Admiral Sir Hugh Cloberry Christian, KB, but I am not sure that he served in South America.

@+P
brian

Post Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alas, according to O'Byrne, Captain Hood Hanway Christian was in the Bay of Biscay during the whole of 1814 supporting Wellington's armies and serving as Governor of Castro. He was nowhere near Rio de Janeiro.
Does 'Manley' have a Christian undertone?
Brian
chome

Post Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much Brian and Patrick. Yes, Patrick, it is that memoir that I'm referring to.
I'll look into the Nereus and Manley Hall Dixon. I see from Patrick's CD that the Nereus was commanded by Peter Heywood until he exchanged with Dixon of the Montague. Presumably that is the Heywood that was with Bligh?
It would have made an even better chapter in my researches had Home been aboard the Phoebe and involved in the Essex incident off Valparaiso.

I too thought of the religeous connection but could not come up with a name. Originally I had been thinking about Howe, Parker and Rodney and peole of that ilk but I now realise that there were many more famous Navy men who are less well known now.
Regards
Charles
PMarione
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still believe that Hood Hanway Christian and the Iris are good candidates :

from M Phillips db (on this website) "In 1813 IRIS operated with MEDUSA, SCYLLA, SURVEILLANTE, SPARROW, BRAMBLE and the WHITING schooner against American privateers and the trade between America and France. She captured three American letters of marque:- The UNION (12) with 53 men, the CASHIER (6) with 40 men and the PRICE (6) with 30. The later was taken on 13 April together with her prize, the schooner EQUITY of Plymouth, which was carrying wine from Madeira to London, and had been captured 8 days earlier.
1814 Ditto, West Indies."

South America depended of the West Indies station.

The "Hood" in his name may certainly do for "bore the names of 2 of the greatest naval men".

There were more than 80 post captains promoted after 1790 and still alive in 1814 who were sons of admirals.

@+P
PMarione
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charles,
I think that the only way to solve the dilemna is to check the logs and musters of the "Iris" at TNA. Your research is now restricted to very few ships.

@+P
brian

Post Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Charles......don't forget to tell us the answer. We are all on tenderhooks!

Brian
chome

Post Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, many many thanks for the information, both of you.
I'll make the trip to the NA. But searching online took me to

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~pbtyc/18-1900/I/02466.html

and this is what it said about the Iris:

Iris, 1807
Type: 5th rate ; Armament 44
Taken : 1807 ; Disposal date or year : 1816
Notes:

7 Sep 1807 Danish frigate Marie taken at Copenhagen.

Circa 1809 Renamed Iris, following the Iris of 1783 being renamed Solebay ?
Falmouth 27 Aug 1813 Sailed with a convoy for the Brazils.

Portsmouth 13 Oct 1814 Arrived from Rio Janeiro, last from Pernambuco, with a convoy, three of which have sailed passed for the river.

Portsmouth 1 Nov 1814 Sailed to the River to be paid off.

Portsmouth 4 Nov 1814 Sailed for the Downs.

Deal 7 Nov 1814 Arrived from Portsmouth, and sailed to the River to be paid off.

This ties in beautifully. The Muster books will be the proof.

I'll let you know.

Best regards to you both and thanks again.

Charles
PMarione
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was an interesting piece of research.
I find amazing what we can find on the web and what details we can dig on an obscure point, working together.

@+P
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ageofnelson.org Forum Index -> Age of Nelson All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1