Link to the related website that has useful info: the Age of Nelson.

This forum is devoted to the Royal Navy during the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars (1793 - 1815).
And why not the other navies of the period?
To avoid spam, you must register to be able to post - it's free.

FAQ         Register         Profile         Search         Log in to check your private messages         Log in
George Watson
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ageofnelson.org Forum Index -> Age of Nelson

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roy Adkins

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: George Watson Reply with quote

This new forum is very welcome! Perhaps someone out there can help me with George Watson. In the book 'From the Lower Deck' by Henry Baynham, he reprints probably the entire volume of 'The Adventures of Greenwich Pensioner' by George Watson, who was a naval seaman 1806 to 1814. I can't find an original copy of the book, and it would be good to see it. It was published in 1827, apparently in Newcastle, but there is no copy in the obvious places like the Caird, British Library, Royal Naval Library at Portsmouth etc. Somebody is chasing a lead on Henry Baynham's papers, but does anyone know a library that has a copy of the original book?

Many thanks for your help.
PMarione
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Watson Reply with quote

Was he not writing under a pseudo like "the old sailor" or "a Greenwich pensioner"?
Roy Adkins

Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impossible to know if it was published anonymously without seeing a copy! But I haven't been able to trace it by author or by title. Baynham says it was printed in Newcastle, but an internet source says London, while other sources leave it blank. I've just had another look at the Baynham reprint, and he doesn't quote the entire publication, but intersperses it with editorial comments. So it would be really good to see the missing bits in the original.
chasbaz

Post Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy,

I've had a sniff round for this book. The British Library hasn't got a copy, nor could I find one in Addall.

The biblio information seems to be:
Watson, George. A Narrative of the Adventures of a Greenwich Pensioner.
Newcastle, 1827

There is an account of Watson't life, taken from the book, in:
Sketches from a Library Window
by Basil Anderton - 1977

I find that Google Book Search is a mine of information - not only can you find references in a huge number of books but you can also download some of them, such as volumes of naval history by various authors such as Brenton and Hervey.

Best wishes,
Charles
Roy Adkins

Post Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charles,

Many thanks for trying to locate this - it's proving very elusive, which is a great pity. And yes, I agree, Google book search is a wonderful resource!
Emily B.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: George Watson Reply with quote

I'm now in search of George Watson, too. My reference librarian thinks that Texas A&M holds a copy in its Bewick Collection. Roy, did you ever find a copy? Do you mind if I ask what you're working on?
Roy Adkins

Post Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emily, Lesley and I have been writing a book on everyday life of - largely - the ordinary seamen and marines in Nelson's era and a bit beyond. The book is Jack Tar: Life in Nelson's Navy, to be published 2 October 2008 (just missing Nelson's 250th birthday!) in the UK by Little, Brown. We did thankfully track down a copy of the George Watson book, in the local history library of Newcastle-upon-Tyne. The bad news is that the library had recently been demolished (summer 2007), but the good news was that there were temporary facilities while a new one is built - we don't know the situation now. The book was originally published in Newcastle, which is why they had a copy. We would love to hear your interest in George Watson.
Emily B.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: George Watson Reply with quote

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by Emily B. on Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Roy Adkins

Post Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emily,

I will email you asap, as it'll be easier to compose, but a word of warning! The published literature may be a pale shadow of what the seamen originally wrote. William Richardson's memoirs were published as The Mariner of England, but the original memoir is in the National Maritime Museum at Greenwich. We were taken aback to find that the original is in places very different to the published book - the editor completely rewrote passages, using different language and cutting down parts. We've only used the original in 'Jack Tar'. As for George Watson, we had assumed that the Baynham book reproduced almost the entire memoir, but not so - it's actually quite a long book.
Emily B.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy,

I'm so glad you warned me about the editor's intrusions in the William Richardson memoir! I'll look forward to corresponding off-list.
Emily B.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, again.
Emily B.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Emily B."]Roy,

I'm so glad you warned me about the editor's intrusions in the William Richardson memoir.
PMarione
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it would be interesting to compile here a list of the lower-deck biographies of the era?

In French the two most known (they have been translated in English) are Louis Garneray and Moreau de Jonnès. Alas both are to be taken very cautiously: Garneray has related adventures that are probably true (like the life on board the infamous hulks) and attributed them to himself like Papillon.
Moreau de Jonnes Aventures de guerre au temps de la République et du Consulat are pure fabrication: he claims inter-alia to have been a French agent in contact with the delgates of the Nore mutiny, etc.

Besides William Richardson and Watson already quoted,

The life and Adventures of John Nichol, 1822 (reprint 1937)
Adventures by Sea of Edward Coxere, 1945
A Journal of Voyages and Travels by the late Thomas Rees, 1822 (reprint 1971)
The History of Pel Verjuice, the Wanderer (Charles Reece Pemberton), 1853 (reprint 1929)
Landsman Hay: Memoirs of Robert Hay (1789 - 1847), 1953
The Life and Adventures of James Durand, 1926 and 1995
Jack Nastyface: Memoirs of an English Seaman (William Robinson), 1836 (reprint 1973)

There must be plenty of others.
I wait for your contributions.

Last edited by PMarione on Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Emily B.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:04 am    Post subject: Other memoirs Reply with quote

There are some more memoirs I've found. The most interesting not on that list are probably Samuel Leech's A Voice from the Main Deck=: http://www.amazon.com/Voice-Main-Deck-Softbound-Sailors-Tales/dp/1861761139/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204954308&sr=1-1 and William Robinson's Jack Nastyface: http://www.amazon.com/Jack-Nastyface-Memoirs-English-Seaman/dp/1557500118/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204954269&sr=8-1

I've found a few more memoirs through a reference book called The Working Class Autobiography (ed. John Burnett, David Vincent, David Mayall). There are numerous autobiographers cited in the index who served in the Navy during this period. Some of these men were seamen-turned-evangelicals or temperance workers, so they write disparagingly about the moral climate aboard.

* Joshua Marsden, Sketches of the Early Life of a Sailor, now a preacher of the Gospel, in several letters, addressed to his children

* Jonathan Martin, The Life of Jonathan Martin of Darlington, Tanner. Written by Himself

* John Brown, Sixty Years' Gleanings from Life's Harvest: A Genuine Autobiography

* John Rattenbury, Memoirs of a Smuggler, compiled from His Diary and Journal: containing the Principle Events in the Life of John Rattenbury, of Beer, Devonshire; commonly called 'The Rob Roy of the West'

Are there others?
Redfish

Post Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not knowing much about their authenticity, I have the following memoirs/diaries in my library:

The adventures of John Wetherell;

Life on the ocean by George Little;

Not exactly from the lower deck: Fiddlers and whores; the candid memoirs of a surgeon in Nelson's fleet. By James Lowry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ageofnelson.org Forum Index -> Age of Nelson All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2