Link to the related website that has useful info: the Age of Nelson.

This forum is devoted to the Royal Navy during the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars (1793 - 1815).
And why not the other navies of the period?
To avoid spam, you must register to be able to post - it's free.

FAQ         Register         Profile         Search         Log in to check your private messages         Log in
the Naval General Service medal of John Davies on sale
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ageofnelson.org Forum Index -> Age of Nelson

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PMarione
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:09 pm    Post subject: the Naval General Service medal of John Davies on sale Reply with quote

His medal is part of a collection of more than 400 orders, decorations and campaign medals which are being sold following the death of American collector Lee E Bishop junior.

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/news/Nelson-shipmate-s-medal-sale/article-1178240-detail/article.html

Problem is that they don't say which (out of 10) John Davies he is.
alexlitandem

Post Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are, indeed, ten 'John Davies', but only one listed with four NGS clasps.

The issue is: could a faker have obtained four such clasps and added them to another John Davies medal?

Long answer short: Yes; that would have been possible [ arguably, it still would be possible ].

Likely?

Not really.

The provenance of this medal - and the absence of contra-indications - give reason to support the notion that this is THAT JD, not one of the other nine.
John Davies

Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: the Naval General Service medal of John Davies on sale Reply with quote

PMarione wrote:
His medal is part of a collection of more than 400 orders, decorations and campaign medals which are being sold following the death of American collector Lee E Bishop junior.

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/news/Nelson-shipmate-s-medal-sale/article-1178240-detail/article.html

Problem is that they don't say which (out of 10) John Davies he is.

Hi there ,
My names Rusty,
Pleased to be able to join your forum . Just what Ive been looking for. I notice with alot of interest your message about John Davies. I have a medal belonging to my wife with the name John Davies on it . Its got 3 clasps .14th/12/1814,27/9/1810,13/2/1810.I am trying to trace this mans birth year and place of birth? Can someone tell me or point me in the right direction to get any information . It appears he was on the Armide as in my own research on net the armide was in all 3 of these actions. Do you know if thgere would be old ship logs for The Armide. Thank you again.
Regards Russel
PMarione
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard.

The ships logs will not be of great interest for you except for the wherabouts of the ship.
What you must check are the Muster Books at TNA.
They are in the ADM 36 and ADM 37 series.
Not all of them have survived but they give interesting info like the age and place of birth, the ship he came from and where he had gone.
If you are lucky you can trace his career from book to book.

The website at TNA is very well done for example : http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATLN=6&CATID=5352431&SearchInit=4&SearchType=6&CATREF=ADM+36%2F11358
and you can even order digital copies.

Keep us informed.
@+P Marione
John Davies

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2011 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again , Sorry to take a while to get back to you. I tryed to look up the PRO for information . There doesnt appear to be any Ad 36 or 37 are these tho only ad s worth looking at there are others with John Davies in. More of the story surrounding this medal . My mother in law sent it to us from England to new Zealand inan envelope with some tissues wrapped round it. I was shocked Ha. Also another medal belonging tom my wives gt gt Grandfather Steven Hare . it was in the 'Himalaya' and 1784 relating to the ashanti wars. So we think Davies must be related to her family . as well. is there any other hints you have to track down the John Davies .Very much appreciated and I love mysterys.
Regards Russel Knight
PeterL

Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADM 37/2487, ADM 37/2488, ADM 37/2489, ADM 37/3512, ADM 37/4215, ADM 37/5210 and ADM 37/5211 contains the musters for HMS Armide from Sep 1809 to Dec 1815. The period your chap was onboard. He is confirmed on the NGS roll as a Landsman for the first clasp and and Able Seaman for the latter two. I collect this medal and would be interested in seeing a photo of the medal if you have one. It is quite scarce to have a medal with three Boat Service clasps. If you don't know, these were cutting-out operations in the ships boats against the enemy. There were no passengers on these "commando" like missions, so hard earned clasps for sure. There is quite a bit know about the three actions. A good book to learn about the NGS medal is "British Battles and Medals" published by Spink. Hope this helps.

Cheers, -Peter
John Davies

Post Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: John Davies Reply with quote

Hi Pete,
Well Im a bit further ahead. i talked to another man who was researching his relative who served on the armide. He has been to TNA and can confirm that the Armide musters do in fact exist. he told me he would look for J D when he returned but he never got back to me. I cant find him . At least I know that they exist. I thought I was going to travel to England this year but couldnt afford it . Im wondering what would it cost to have someone research it for me. Can you help?
REgards Rusty Knight Very Happy
PeterL

Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - the muster clearly do exist, as I pointed out in the post from 2011 just previous to yours. No doubt about it. I've sent you an email regarding a researcher. Hope this helps.

Cheers, -Peter
John Davies

Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:03 am    Post subject: John Davies Reply with quote

Thanks for that youve been a great help. I will drop you a line when i find something out regards Rusty
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ageofnelson.org Forum Index -> Age of Nelson All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1