Link to the related website that has useful info: the Age of Nelson.

This forum is devoted to the Royal Navy during the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars (1793 - 1815).
And why not the other navies of the period?
To avoid spam, you must register to be able to post - it's free.

FAQ         Register         Profile         Search         Log in to check your private messages         Log in
HMS Polyphemus
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ageofnelson.org Forum Index -> Hint and tips for researchers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Wright

Post Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: HMS Polyphemus Reply with quote

I have read that the Polyphemus was involved in the battle of Copenhagen
and that four marines were injured.

Does anybody know if it is possible to find out the names of these Marines ?

My Great great grandfather (4th) was a Royal Marine sargeant on the Polyphemus. I have been told that he was hurt on 20 October 1804. so presumably this injury was some time after and unrelated to the battle.

So I would like to find out what the ship was doing in 1804 and how
to check whether any injuries were recorded on October 20 1804.

Unfortunately ( or fortunately) my ancestor Robert Wright missed the battle of Trafalgar. and was invalided out on Jan 9 1805 to the hospital ship haslar, and then discharged on 21 Jul 1805 with a pension due to his injuries.

eventually he lost his leg and his pension was increased in 1843.

Any advice on how best to find out more would be appreciated.
Mike Wright
Langstone

Post Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just spotted this - you'd be better posting this on the main forum, Mike, as it's more likely to be noticed? It may well be possible to trace what was happening.
gw

Post Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: Polyphemus Reply with quote

Hi Mike

Sorry, I can't help with your research, but since I am also just starting researching an ancestor on Polyphemus, listed in the MacKenzie Trafalgar Roll - Charles Almond Trusson 2nd Lt RM - and saw your post, I thought I would post here to express interest in any info that could be useful to me. I believe CAT changed his name to Charles Almond Whiting, for reasons best known to himself currently, in 1909/1910, after a second marriage, and it is this name change I am trying to research.

All the best

GW
Keith_H

Post Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: HMS Polyphemus Reply with quote

[quote="Mike Wright"]I have read that the Polyphemus was involved in the battle of Copenhagen and that four marines were injured.

Does anybody know if it is possible to find out the names of these Marines ?

So I would like to find out what the ship was doing in 1804 and how
to check whether any injuries were recorded on October 20 1804.

my ancestor Robert Wright [was] discharged on 21 Jul 1805 with a pension due to his injuries.

Any advice on how best to find out more would be appreciated.
Mike Wright[/quote]

Hi Mike, the following came up when I did a search on "hospital", which makes for an interesting read

[url]http://www.ageofnelson.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=86[/url]

[url]http://www.ageofnelson.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=229[/url]

It would appear that the ship's muster may refer to the injured persons. Otherwise, there are the hospital muster lists, some of which are specific to Marines. The following may be of some use, in addition to the other lists in existence
[url]http://yourarchives.nationalarchives.gov.uk/index.php?title=Category:Royal_Marines_personnel[/url]

The ships log should indicate where the ship was, and could refer to injuries. There is a slim chance that the Polyphemus surgeon's records could still exist.

The out-pension application record for 1805 should be available, and a Discharge Book for the Portsmouth Division is likely to exist.

I guess your best bet is to hire an archivist to pay a visit to Kew.

Good luck with your research.

Regards, Keith
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ageofnelson.org Forum Index -> Hint and tips for researchers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1