Link to the related website that has useful info: the Age of Nelson.

This forum is devoted to the Royal Navy during the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars (1793 - 1815).
And why not the other navies of the period?
To avoid spam, you must register to be able to post - it's free.

FAQ         Register         Profile         Search         Log in to check your private messages         Log in
How history is made
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ageofnelson.org Forum Index -> Age of Nelson

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PMarione
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: How history is made Reply with quote

From Eastern Daily Press Norfolk November 2004:
Quote:
Land ahoy!
...Russell enjoys sailing and fishing: "I love Norfolk and the Norfolk coast, and spend as much time as I can fishing off Brancaster," he smiles. "We catch tope and sea bass, sea trout and mullet; it's amazing up there."
This love of the sea may stem from the possibility that Russell's family is connected to that of Norfolk's most famous seafarer. Admiral Lord Nelson, "We believe there's a strong possibility that we're direct descendants of Nelson; we've traced our family history back to the 1800s when there was an Edward Hamilton Nelson at Trinity College in Dublin." says Russell.
"We think he was the illegitimate son of Nelson's daughter, Horatia. who lived at Necton.
"There are too many coincidences for it not to add up - we found an old book in my mother's house from Beatrice Nelson at Necton dating back to 1894, and my own grandfather was really keen to visit the rectory at Necton when he came to Norfolk.
"We feel that he'd spent time there when he was a child and that Beatrice was his grandmother.
"Nelson's father was the rector at Hilborough and at Necton, and his uncle was the rector at Bradenham we haven't got conclusive proof but we think it's more than likely that we're linked to Nelson"...

No comment

Last edited by PMarione on Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mary

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first involvement here and seven years after the post! Rolling Eyes
I did see this article in the EDP at the time and thought I should contact Russell, but somehow years have past and I never made tried to make contact.....
I live in Necton and have descendants who lived here from the mid 1700's. A William NELSON who married an Ann COCKET in 1753. (Mentioned in Carthews Hundreds of Launditch - but not in the parish registers!). I have done much research into Necton village history and my family in this area. I have a list of Nectons Rectors and sadly Horatio's father is not among them. I can supply anyone interested with the entire list.
I would love to make contact with Russell to exchange Nelson and Necton knowledge. Can anyone help?
Now I have found you I hope soon to read many more of your posts. Hopefully even some more recent ones. Laughing
PMarione
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Now I have found you I hope soon to read many more of your posts. Hopefully even some more recent ones. Laughing

In French we say "mieux vaut tard que jamais" Smile

Quote:
Emma died in January 1815 and Horatia, who was still living with her, made the funeral arrangements with the British Consul and then returned to England disguised as a boy so as to escape arrest for the debts Emma had run up in France. On arrival in Dover, she was met by one of Nelson's brothers-in-law (Nelson's sisters doted on her) and from then until she married, Horatia stayed with Nelson's sister, Mrs Catherine Matcham in Sussex.

Horatia married the Rev Philip Ward on 19 February 1822 at Burnham Westgate Church, where he was then curate.
She was just 21 (a young age to marry at the time) and had 10 children.

Difficult to imagine that she followed the steps of her mother and had an illegitimate son and I can't find any connexion with Necton.

But it gives a good story to the chap.
Maybe you can contact him through the "Eastern Daily Press Norfolk" ?

@+P
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ageofnelson.org Forum Index -> Age of Nelson All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1