Link to the related website that has useful info: the Age of Nelson.

This forum is devoted to the Royal Navy during the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars (1793 - 1815).
And why not the other navies of the period?
To avoid spam, you must register to be able to post - it's free.

FAQ         Register         Profile         Search         Log in to check your private messages         Log in
Thomas Fremantle's letters
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ageofnelson.org Forum Index -> Age of Nelson

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redfish

Post Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Thomas Fremantle's letters Reply with quote

In the book 'Fighting Sail' (Time Life) I have read that Captain Thomas Fremantle wrote letters detailing shipboard minutiae to his wife. I have been searching the internet for them, but I cannot find much about it, nor if they were ever published. I only found that (parts of) his wife's and her sister's diaries have been published. I am however more interested in Fremantle's letters. Are they ever (partly) published?
PMarione
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are letters from and to Fremantle at TNA.
His biography in the new DNB doesn't quote any publication.

But Betsy diary makes fascinating reading.

She is one of the greatest diarist of the period.
It was a love marriage and she accompanied TF on some cruises.
She was on the Seahorse at Tenerife in 1797 when TH was severely wounded.
A great seaman wife and her diary is a must-read.

@+P
Redfish

Post Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your recommendation. I actually had already ordered a book dealing with the Wynne diaries, before you recommended it. Had it in the mail last week.

When you say that Fremantle's letters are to be found at TNA, do you refer to letters, written to the Admiralty (series ADM1), or does TNA also keeps personal letters from Captains (in general) to their wives and/or friends?
PMarione
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything is possible.
They have a good search engine http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/searchthearchives/?source=searcharchives

The NMM at Greenwich and the RNV at Portsmouth are also places to investigate and naturally the British Library.

Librarians are very kind people and most often ready to help you if you give them a call.
Peter

Post Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Redfish,

I believe that in her diaries she mentions when and where at sea Horatia was conceived. Is there any mention in your book?

With thanks,
Peter
Redfish

Post Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter,

Horatia was born at the end of Januari 1801, so according to a quick calculation she must have been conceived by the end of May/early June 1800. I have entries on 31st May and 5th, 6th and 7th of June 1800. No mention of it there. She was in England. So at least she did not witness the event in any kind of manner.
In her entries from Januari and slightly beyond I cannot find anything either, but I only looked quickly. I cannot say when I will have the time to read the book (it is: The Wynne diaries 1789-1820, selected and edited by Anne Fremantle). In trying to answer your question at high speed, I did however notice that some of Fremantle's letters to Betsey are in this book as well. So thank you for asking Very Happy .

Danni
Peter

Post Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Danni,

May thanks for looking, I was once told that they were at sea when Emma conceived. And that Wynne had mentioned the fact that Nelson and Emma were at sea together.
Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ageofnelson.org Forum Index -> Age of Nelson All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1