Link to the related website that has useful info: the Age of Nelson.

This forum is devoted to the Royal Navy during the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars (1793 - 1815).
And why not the other navies of the period?
To avoid spam, you must register to be able to post - it's free.

FAQ         Register         Profile         Search         Log in to check your private messages         Log in
A new nelsonian cult? (no naval content)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ageofnelson.org Forum Index -> Age of Nelson

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PMarione
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: A new nelsonian cult? (no naval content) Reply with quote

This thread has been heavily edited.

This post is a naughty prank. Embarassed

Some days ago I came across a website devoted to a new Nelsonian worship sect.

The website is at http://www.nelsonandhisworld.co.uk/.

You directly understand that the place is not for the vulgum pecus or the miscreant like you and me.

As with any well groomed sect, there are Regulations (with a strong smell of McCarthyism) to encourage you to be happy:
Quote:
1. Fairness is all and good manners compulsory.
2. The only intolerance permitted on this forum is reserved for those who display intolerance of any kind, whether towards individuals or groups.
3. Sexist, racist, ill-mannered or offensive posts will be deleted and miscreants removed without warning or recourse to appeal.
4. Respect others' opinions at all times and express any disagreement with courtesy.
5. Avoid gratuitous obscenity.
6. Stay on topic if you can and, when quoting, try to include your sources.

Lasciate Ogni Umore Voi Ch'Entrate
From the opening page of the forum you can see that the censorship is heavy: out of 367 posts, only 322 appears in the forum, 45 censored ie more than 10%.

From there you enter the place of worship called forum and go through an initiation rite called registration: fill the form, answer a secret question, type a secret number and perform some other hardship.
After careful examination of your credentials by the appropriate committee, you'll receive a holy mail of congratulation.

The great priestess of the cult is named Tycho).
At first I was wondering what could be the link between a lunar crater and HN when I discovered (thanks to an interesting post on the forum) that in fact Tycho was the name of HN donkey during his years on the beach.

Having registered and going through the various posts, I came to the conclusion that Tycho is not after your wallet like David Miscavige. She will not poison you like Jim Jones or Luc Jouret or make you do horrible thinks like Charles Manson.
The goal of the sect is just to bore you to death.

Every day you'll read a letter taken from Nicolas or another holy book faithfully trancribed.
You have to answer a quiz about it: "I wonder how Nelson’s relationship with his brother Suckling?" or "How did officers prevent the crew from getting bored, if the quarantine lasted for weeks?".
To reach the rank of Zealot (OT5) you are required to answer such trivia without even the smallest trace of a smile.

You also have to read some cathartic nelsonian experience like:
Quote:
"Yesterday I taped the film Miss Austin regrets on video. It was broadcasted by one of the Dutch television stations.
It is a film about the live of Jane Austin and her relationship with her niece Fanny. I enjoyed watching the film."

Quote:
"Since I will, for my work, attend a meeting tomorrow especially organised for family members of alcoholics, I wonder was the use of alcohol a big problem on the ships.
Were sailors always punished for drinking too much, even if they were off duty and not misbehaving themselves?"

Quote:
"I noticed they pronounce the numbers like we do in Holland. 28 is eight and twenty, etc.
Does any of you know when and why it turned into twenty eight, etc. as it is pronounced today."

Speaking of HN death wish at Trafalgar:
Quote:
I'm of the opinion that he loved his wife and daughter too much, as well as the adulation heaped upon him from the English society.

Here is the funniest one:
Quote:
"I grew up on a houseboat in Amsterdam.
When a careless yacht owner collided with us, it made a rupture in the hull of our boat and it started to leak.
My father put a large piece of fat bacon on it, to stop the water from coming in."

End of the naughty prank Sad

I find the subject of heroes' worship an fascinating subject.
I'll come back to this more seriously one day: why does cults like Nelson's or Napoleon's exist?

@+P

Last edited by PMarione on Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:55 am; edited 4 times in total
chasbaz

Post Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Patrick,

Being a newcomer to Nelson forums I bring no baggage with me, nor have I had any knowledge of the political and other disagreements which are found on them. I have found your site most informative, and you most welcoming and helpful. In my humble opinion it does you and your forum great harm to indulge in what looks like a childish and vindictive attack on members of another forum. You don’t have to like everyone you come across, and I agree that some postings on certain sites are woolly, but I think a dignified silence about such things is a wiser course. It’s your site, so you can do what you like. I don’t intend to desert it when there are so many good things about it, and I wouldn’t like to see it fade away. I suggest you delete the above posting as soon as possible. Perhaps then it may be possible to mend some fences, rather than burning your boats!

Best wishes,
Charles
PMarione
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Charles,

I agree with you that my post is childish but I had some fun writing it.

Forums are there to share info, discuss common interests and have fun (in my opinion).

In conclusion, here are the rules of this forum (age of Nelson) taken from Rabelais: Fais ce que voudras, in English "no rules".
Feel free to post anything you want to share, even your pets' concerns or funny stuff (better to keep on the subject of the forum if you want to interest somebody).

My experience shows that adult people (from 5 to 105) are adults and not children to be spanked but I am no teacher.

Enjoy this forum and any other forum even Tycho's one (was it really HN donkey's name?).

My final conclusion will be that in the end the sad fact that will remain is that there is nothing interesting left to say about Nelson. All that was to say has been said in 2005 and we will not be there in 2105.
Except if by chance something comes to light like the Davison collection.

@+ P

Last edited by PMarione on Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:38 pm; edited 3 times in total
PMarione
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

The problem with Tycho's website is that she was mistaken (by ignorance or bad advice) to use the wrong software: what she needs is a c(h)at-room server, not a forum.

I can recommend CustomChat or PHPOpenChat which are free.

Chat is far better for instant cathartic nelsonian therapy. You can chat all the trivia you want with soulmates without boring people into hundreds of posts to find some snippet of interest.

Social network pages like MySpace or Facebook are great too.

But beware the side effects: Smile
Quote:
Excessive emails and text are a mental illness.
People who send excessive texts and emails may have a mental illness, according to an article in a leading psychiatric journal.
As more people leave the office computer, only to log on as soon as they get home, the American Journal of Psychiatry has found addiction to text messaging and emailing could be another form of mental illness.

The article is at http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23414957-2,00.html

Another point is that the web is public domain.
You have the right to remain silent but everything you publish can be used against you.

@+P

Last edited by PMarione on Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:57 am; edited 3 times in total
Redfish

Post Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
People who send excessive texts and emails may have a mental illness, according to an article in a leading psychiatric journal.
As more people leave the office computer, only to log on as soon as they get home, the American Journal of Psychiatry has found addiction to text messaging and emailing could be another form of mental illness.

I really thought that I was sane, but I must have turned as mad as a hare since I joined this Forum. What about you? Confused
PMarione
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a psy case long before emails were born.

When I left the army (some time after the Belgian revolution in 1830) the sergeant major of the company said to me: "I don't know if it's because you are too smart or to mad but you made us crazy for 18 months!".
I answered: "Yes and in the end I win as you are still in and I am out".
Linnaeus

Post Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Patrick and Peter:

Through a scientific analysis of the phenomenon I have come to the conclusion that you guys can't be for real.

You are just too perfect, too complete a set of stereotypical misogynists who panic when women touch the subject of Horatio Nelson and his, erm, manhood. You believe HN is for real men only, unsullied by female influences.

(Apparently even Mark Barrett isn't manly enough for you and therefore he was unworthy of his noble screen name. The day he labelled himself EnglandExpects is a day that will live in inflammation, or something.)

The way you fulfill all the stereotypes of sexism, chapter and verse, is just a little too neat. Women - their emotions, their hormones, their chatter, their sexuality - bleccch! Girls are icky!

Ater a literary assessment of the evidence I have determined that both of you are fictitious satirical characters created by Barry Unsworth.

C'mon Mr. Unsworth! I know you're behind this. With Losing Nelson you were just warming up. This latest flight of your imagination has considerable power - of a negative sort. The online antics of these characters could almost bring discredit to Nelson scholarship in general.

But can you lay off now? Because it's not funny.

- Linnaeus
Peter

Post Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:34 am    Post subject: Linnaeus Reply with quote

Hello Linnaeus,

Another person who lives in a land of fantasy, is your name really Linneaus, or are you hiding under a pseudonym because you have difficulty in facing the world as yourself!

Are you a man or a woman, sounds like you are a woman, with a grudge, or could you be a psychologist or even a retired school teacher?

A quick look and it seems that Linnaeus appertains to plants!

I wonder why you have got involved. The time difference could be right, or you may get up early for your guise. Who knows!

I presume you are Galiano as well, allegedly an island in British Columbia.

The colon after Dear..&.., reminds me of a way another person used to post. I have never seen a colon used in this context, it is normally a comma.

Yours respectfully,
Peter
PMarione
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Linnaeus,

You have just been awarded 3 pinocchios.

@+P

Last edited by PMarione on Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Peter

Post Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonjour Mon Brave,

I notice that you are now giving and bestowing on people the Ancient Belgian Award of Five Pinocchios.

What is the criterion and attributes for the said award?

Ca va,
Peter.
PMarione
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Namur is the capital of Wallonia.
Each year at the beginning of the month of September the Société Royale Moncrabeau also called "Les Quarante molons" organize a contest of bullshit. The best one is elected "king of the bullshitters".
It's a tradition going back to the Middle Age.

Then why not award Pinocchios (from 1 to 5) to bullshitters. Smile
Peter

Post Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Free Speech Reply with quote

Sadly, once more I have been edited.

After all that has been said it just shows that one cannot tell the truth anymore, which I did.

Free speech seems to be over.

Lucky that I have saved it all.
PMarione
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter,

I just tried to put some order in this thread so I had to prune it.
I didn't consider it as censure.
I can put back your posts online if you want. Will just take me some time to go through the backups as apparently the deleted posts are gone forever in phpbb2.

@+P
Peter

Post Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what happened to my last post?

Last edited by Peter on Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:04 am; edited 1 time in total
PMarione
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, here are all the deleted posts.

--------------------
Hello Patrick,

Being a newcomer to Nelson forums I bring no baggage with me, nor have I had any knowledge of the political and other disagreements which are found on them. I have found your site most informative, and you most welcoming and helpful. In my humble opinion it does you and your forum great harm to indulge in what looks like a childish and vindictive attack on members of another forum. You donít have to like everyone you come across, and I agree that some postings on certain sites are woolly, but I
think a dignified silence about such things is a wiser course. Itís your site, so you can do what you like. I donít intend to desert it when there are so many good things about it, and I wouldnít like to see it fade away. I suggest you delete the above posting as soon as possible. Perhaps then it may be possible to mend some fences, rather than burning your boats!

Best wishes,
Charles
--------------------
Charles,

I agree with you that my post is childish but I had some fun writing it.

I will add some explanation and background for the innocent reader (in the meaning of a person involved by chance in a situation).

For years the forum at About Nelson (see the post below to know why you are to google to find it as the link has been removed) was the meeting point of all the amateurs of Nelsonia.
If you check the past posts there (specially 2005) you'll find a mine of interesting info, original research, etc. People have spent hours of research just to answer some query.
As in any good living forum, sometimes the arguments could have been hot or stray far away from subject. This is the proof that a forum is well alive.
Forums are there to share info, discuss common interests and have fun (in my opinion).

About one year ago, "ladies" (they were nicknamed "wimmin" by some people) started to post with no nelsonian background (which is very fine: forums are there to promote interests and create new vocations too).
The problem was that they started to rule over and dictate laws like in a classroom. Any hint of humour earned you personal attacks etc. You had to behave, keep your back straight, be mute during the class.
I and other people even started to receive personal hate emails (on my personal address not the forum personal mail).

I recognize that I can write very corrosive posts: French is far more direct than upper-English and sometimes things are lost in translation (and I confess that I like to be provocative) but I have been an adult for many years now and I feel to old to receive lessons from old retired teachers and certainly not personal insults.
I believe like you that you have the right to be stupid and let it know, or to say stupid things, but you also have to accept that people find that you are stupid or that what you say is stupid.
I also believe that the web is the last place where you can enjoy some liberty far from the eyes of big brother (at least have the illusion).

People no more posted on About Nelson. EE made the mistake of installing rules and today that forum is dead: 5 new posts since February.
To give an idea to what it has fallen here is the last post of Chegworth (aka Tycho, etc.):
Quote:
Though I know little of football - just how many overs are there in a match? - I was amused to see, with the arrival of the new Italian boss, that the Times bore the headline this morning: L'Inghilterra aspetta, Signor Capello.......
I need not, of course, translate........

I hope that EE will revive the forum some day.

Then I discovered that those "ladies" having killed a very good forum, have now created their own forum perfectly groomed like a well kept classroom with plenty of rules and full censorship.
I find that perfectly unfair and so I have said it in a silly way.

I apologize if I have upset you or anybody outside the people I wanted to upset. Just skip the post if you are not interested in the continuation of the adventures of the holy bacon.

In conclusion, here are the rules of this forum (age of Nelson) taken from Rabelais: Fais ce que voudras, in English "no rules".
Feel free to post anything you want to share, even your pets' concerns or funny stuff (better to keep on the subject of the forum if you want to interest somebody).
I will never censure a post.
My experience shows that adult people (from 5 to 105) are adults and not children to be spanked but I am no teacher.

Enjoy this forum and any other forum even Tycho's one (was it really HN donkey's name?).
@+ P
--------------------
Hi Patrick,

Thank you for filling me in with the above details.

My post was, as I think you understood, not an attempt to censure you, which I would not presume to do even if I did not agree with you. It was more to show concern that your site would be damaged. The controversy itself does not interest me. I will continue hopefully to follow and post on both forums. They both have their place and their right to exist. I also recognize that schisms and disagreements arise in all communities, and that sometimes they are necessary.

There I will leave the subject.

Best wishes,
Charles
--------------------
Patrick

I am asking you as a matter of public record to remove all references to myself and my forum from this thread.

There are gross distortions of the truth included here - I want nothing to do with them and I do not even want to be connected to them by association.

You have included a link to my forum without permission. In internet etiquette this can be costrued as THEFT of my bandwidth. Remove that link immediately.

In all honesty I believe that you should respect the opinions included in Chaz's first post and remove this whole thread. By any definition of decency this thread has no place on the internet.

I think I understand "decency" as it is what we enjoyed on my forum for several years before certain events started taking place. THESE EVENTS ARE NOT AS YOU HAVE DESCRIBED THEM HERE.

I repeat - please delete all references to me and my forum. And then delete this post.

OR do the even more appropriate thing and delete this whole thread.

Mark Barrett
--------------------
Mark,

This is my personal opinion (or my own perception) of the question and I am entitled to have my own opinion as well as you are entitled to yours.

Feel free to voice here your own version if you think mine is distorted, and be assured that I will not delete it.
The web is a public place and I don't need permission (even yours) to include references or quotations.

As you ask it, I'll remove the link to your website by courtesy even if I can't understand what you mean by theft of bandwidth and if I see nothing negative about it in this thread. All I ask is that you keep it open or find a way to archive it because there is a lot of good left in it.

I will never censure anybody or anything (or even my own rantings) on this forum.
I will forever fight any form of censure including stupid rules on forums and I believe that humour (even black or cynical) is the most effective tool to do it even if you don't find it funny.

This forum is open to anybody with an interest in its subject whatever his (her) colour, sex, nationality, language, education, age, etc. are.
You are perfecly free to make a fool of yourself and other people are perfectly free to say that you are making a fool of yourself.
That's called tolerance and freedom of speech.
If you find something offensive you're absolutely free to not read it: I never go on the websites of the KKK or the Church of Scientology.

In conclusion I hope to read your version of the said events and the explanation of Tycho on why to kill a forum to open her own is fair and why sending personal hate emails is correct net-etiquette.

@+P
--------------------
Following Mark Barrett post, I have to revise completely my opinion.

In fact he apparently decided to scuttle his website for undisclosed reasons.
So RIP About Nelson.

And I have to apologize to Tycho as she apparently didn't steal that forum but is probably trying to save what can be saved.
The only problem is that she was mistaken (by ignorance or bad advice) to use the wrong software: what she needs is a c(h)at-room server, not a forum.

I can recommend CustomChat or PHPOpenChat which are free.

Chat is far better for instant cathartic nelsonian therapy. You can chat all the trivia you want with soulmates without boring people into hundreds of posts to find some snippet of interest.

But beware the side effects:
Quote:

The article is at http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23414957-2,00.html
@+P
Patrick
--------------------
Thank you for beginning to acknowledge that the posts you made here are factually and/or morally wrong from beginning to end.

The people you have chosen to MOCK, BULLY and INTIMIDATE should in fact be PRAISED and ENCOURAGED.

Now I advise you to do what both Chasbaz and I suggested earlier and DELETE THIS WHOLE THREAD.

If you do so - in 24 hours time it will be forgotten that it ever existed.

If you leave it here in the public domain then one day it may come back to haunt you.

If that offends your somewhat distorted views on censorship, then do it in the name of EDITORIAL CONTROL. Editorial control is nothing to be scared of. It establishes appropriate boundaries for a decent and civilised society.

I look forward to logging on tomorrow to see that this thread has DISAPPEARED.

THEN WE CAN ALL MOVE ON WITH OUR LIVES.

Mark Barrett
--------------------
A common netiquette rule:
Quote:
Avoid writing e-mail or posting messages in blogs, newsgroups, forums, chat rooms and other online venues using all capital letters.
IT LOOKS LIKE YOU'RE SHOUTING!
Not only that, it's difficult to read.

--------------------
Hello Mark Barratt,

You had the best researched and presented website on the net, I 'read only' for sometime and spent many an enjoyable hour or two reading the well constructed and informative posts. I then got involved with answering and posting on the Forum, the forum being... a place or meeting where a public [not private] discussion is held....

Whilst Susan and Darren were involved things seemed to go smoothly, but as they both dropped out and you took over, things seemed to change and it became dictatorial. With you having things your way, well as I once said to you...it is your train set after all....

People posted from all over the world. There was some very heated discussions, I had an exceptional debate with Patrick, but we still speak. Debate is a wonderful thing and should be encouraged.

However, you seemed to think debate would only be to your rules. Shortly after the bicentenary a lot of new women joined the forum, with little or no knowledge of the period, it wasn't long before your once excellent forum was turned into a womens' gossip coulumn, bordering on the fish market at Billingsgate. Nelson was discussed in a way I have not seen before.

To them he had become a matinee idol. Jane Austen became a prominent member of discussion. It was like being back in the classroom.

You sided with the women even though they were 'teasing you', remember when they all stopped posting and then all suddenly came back, that was orchestrated behind the scenes by them.

I never once used bad language or prose on your forum. However, on at least three occasions you deleted the posts I had written. No explanation: just taken out. Quite bad manners - I would have thought some personal email to explain things would have been appropriate.

Really the rest is history, you changed providers without telling your girls,
they didn't like it, so they have started their own. Most of the questions on the new site could be answered by typing them into Google.

It has even been said that you are posting under a new name. I always thought that EE reaked of hierarchial importance, how could any person consider themselves the same as that signal.

To conclude Patrick has told the truth, albeit in a very light hearted way.

I couldn't believe it when you put pen to paper, unless of course Patrick is typing it! It is best to keep quiet, it would then have gone away.

I suggest you go somewhere and try and get a sense of humour, it is free.

Yours,
Peter.
It is sad to see you squirming, but I suppose you deserve it. You didn't treat Patrick very well either.
--------------------
Mark,
Quote:
Forum:
a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

Quote:
Intimidate:
I am asking you as a matter of public record to remove all references to myself and my forum from this thread.

Quote:
Bully:
I look forward to logging on tomorrow to see that this thread has DISAPPEARED.

I see more and more reasons not to delete this thread.
I don't brush the dust discreetly under the rug, I prefer to air the rug outside even if some innocent people receive some dust on the pavement.

At least we are starting to have a better understanding of the story behind the scene of the death of About Nelson.

When I started this thread I made it voluntarily provocative, hoping for reactions.
I was really amazed to read a reaction coming from you and not from some lady to be praised and encouraged (they probably are too busy listening to the growth of the giant pumpkin that will win the parish fair this year or brushing the duck droppings from the deck of the boathouse).

I agree with Peter that deleting posts without even an email of explanation is very bad manners. I have been banned more than one time in the same way. Not good for somebody who want to appear as the champion of decency.

If I follow you, you call the way the China media are treating the news from Tibet mild editorial control. I'll call that censure.
It's probably a problem of language or culture or education but we will never agree on that.
There is an old joke about the English having a panic attack every time they have to ask somebody how do you? just in case that the somebody would answer that his dog has died in the fire of the barn with his wife and seven children. Very embarassing indeed.

Reading back all this thread, I'll will give you some satisfaction in a couple of days when it will start to cool. I'll not delete it (don't worry) but edit it and split it in three parts:
[list]RIP About Nelson
the new Nelson cult
the holy bacon sad story[/list:u]
So it will be more easy to understand.

Maybe the best thing to do for you now is to put a note in your forum saying that it's now closed (explaining "certain events that started taking place", or for any reason you may find fit, or no reason) and is only kept for its value as archive. You can even add that you now endorce and post on Nelson and his World maintained by ladies to be praised and encouraged.
Why don't call a cat a cat. That would be fair and spare the time and bandwidth (whatever it is) of people who still check it regularly in the hope to see something new. Lie me, they will then only go there when they are looking for something they remember to have seen in it.

My final conclusion will be that in the end the sad fact that will remain is that there is nothing interesting left to say about Nelson. All that was to say has been said in 2005 and we will not be there in 2105.
Except if by chance something comes to light like the Davison collection.

@+P
--------------------
...Mark, as I have been a lurker on About Nelson for a little over a year, not knowing till now what was unfolding behind the scenes, this comes as a startling and saddening announcement.

It's not clear to me whether your decision to become an ex-Nelsonian was in any way influenced by the attitude of - shall we call them - the "defenders of the true faith", as represented in this thread. If it was, then... sorry, I can't find any polite words.

I'll try to contact you privately.

- Linnaeus
--------------------
Mark,

Now we agree.
I will not apologise as I never said anything against you and your website except that we will never agree about "editorial control".

Your reasons are perfectly honourable and you have to turn pages from time to time. As I said after 2005 there is not much to say about HN.
Why didn't you say so some months ago?

If you are fed of paying the (well named) Yuku, we can find a way to host the archives on this website.
Web is incredible: more than 2,000,000 articles in Wikipedia, etc. but it's volatile: a valuable ressource can just disappear one day.
I was able to rescue part of Michael Phillips website, and I hope that someone will rescue this website when I am in a wheelchair, sucking my meal through a straw whilst watching the starac on the telly.

I'll do what I said: I'll seriously prune, edit and order this thread in a couple of days.

@+P
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ageofnelson.org Forum Index -> Age of Nelson All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1