Link to the related website that has useful info: the Age of Nelson.

This forum is devoted to the Royal Navy during the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars (1793 - 1815).
And why not the other navies of the period?
To avoid spam, you must register to be able to post - it's free.

FAQ         Register         Profile         Search         Log in to check your private messages         Log in
JOHNSON, Admiral William Ward Percival (d. 1880)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ageofnelson.org Forum Index -> Age of Nelson

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexlitandem

Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: JOHNSON, Admiral William Ward Percival (d. 1880) Reply with quote

I'd be most grateful if anyone can offer me `details' about this gentleman - not just his naval career, but his lineage if at all possible.

I understand - but would welcome supportive evidence - that he entered the navy in June 1803?

In August 1803, (August 22, Victory off Toulon ) Nelson wrote to Lady Percival that "Your Godson Mr. Percival Johnson delivered to me yesterday evening Your Ladyship's letter of June 23rd, together with one from my dearest friend Lady Hamilton..." (Etc.,) ( See page 85 of Colin White's The New Letters for the full text.)

Earlier today, I noted in John D.Clarke's `The Men of HMS Victory at Trafalgar' (see page 86) a reference to a `Johnson WW Percival, Midshipman later Admiral' and to a claim `published in "The Graphic" of 1st March 1879, pages 216-217' that he was actually on board Victory at Trafalgar [1st Class Volunteer HMS Childers, Guest on Board The Victory].

Clarke notes that `his memory must have failed him', in that he had transferred from Victory to Eurydice on the 12th October 1805.

a) I'm simply trying to confirm the connection - or logically support the connection - between the Mr. Percival Johnson of Nelson's 1803 letter, and the Admiral.

b) Any immediate genealogical input connecting WWPJ to Lady Percival would be most appreciated.

c) Any observations about the Victory / Trafalgar claim, similarly.

d) I declare an interest, in that I happen to have HN's letter in my own collection.

tia for any inputs / observations from all.
PMarione
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what I have:
Quote:
At Trafalgar, he was retained on board of the Victory when his boat returned to his ship, Euridyce. He came home in the Euridyce after the battle.
Didn't note the source.

His birth cert from ADM107/41

His services before his examination for Lt

Was your Lady Percival (Perceval) the wife of Spencer Perceval, the premier assassinated in 1812?
tonybb

Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex, Huw Lewis-Jones in the 2007 Trafalgar Chronicle says that William Ward Percival Johnson:
    Went to sea in a Government packet.
    Served the East India Company for one voyage.
    Joined the Navy 2 July 1803.
    Was sent to join the Victory as a Protégé of Lady Hamilton.
    Then transferred to other ships.
    Was visiting the Victory the night before Trafalgar and was left behind onboard by accident - for this his reference is the same issue of The Graphic you mention above, p218.

alexlitandem

Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added to the above - most kind guidance and information - are two emails from Peter Lockyer here.

My heart is thumping.

He could well, it seems, have been there on the day.

Ooof. Just imagine.

Thank you.
alexlitandem

Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick,

In response to your question re Lady Percival / Perceval... simple truth is I don't yet know.

The letter is unambiguously addressed to Percival, with an `i'.

And many people spell Spencer Perceval with an `e'.

But, the Percival / Perceval / Egmont connection and spelling seems to vary from one source to the next.

If, as seems likely Lady Percival was WW Percival Johnson's Godparent, would that information be on the Birth certificate, do you happen to know ( i.e., whether it is likely or not)?

As I've posted elsewhere, this link to the Percival / Egmont family is quite fascinating - what a family history! All the way back to before William The Conqueror!

http://www.churchtown.net/webpages/history/H-egmont.htm

(If you browse the site carefully, you will see images of Oliver Reed's grave - where locals from O'Brien's pub still leave pints for Ollie! Thought it would appeal to PL!)
PMarione
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the problem is not with the Percival/Perceval spelling: there is plenty of examples of spelling variations in surnames. In the various genealogical dictionaries like Debrett or Burke the only Percivals/Percevalst are related to the Earl of Egmont.
The problem is which lady?
- the 2nd wife of the 2nd Earl, John, was Catherine Compton made Baroness Arden (IR) but died in 1784
- the wife of the 3rd Earl, John James, was Isabella, daughter of Lord Nassau Paulett (son of the Duke of Bolton)
- the wife of the 4th Earl, John, was Bridget, daughter of Lt-Col Glynne Wynne (maybe a connexion with Betsy Wynne of the journal, the wife of Fremantle). I vote for her: marriage in 1792
- the wife of Spencer Percival/Perceval was Jane, daughter of Sir Thomas Spencer Wilson, Bart (m 1790). He was a member of the party of the Duke of Portland and if I remember well EH frequented whigs at the time.

I can't find any Johnson quoted in the genealogies.

@+P
alexlitandem

Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick:

Wonderful additional material there; thank you.

Earlier this afternoon I had a call from Mr. Gerry Murphy, the gentleman who compiled most of the Percival / Egmont material on the Churchtown site I mention above.

He has much more genealogical material he is kindly willing to share and, further, has a close friend who is about to have published a book about Napoleon's Irish doctor / surgeon on St. Helena! ( Strangely small world at times).

I'll share more on both `fronts' when I have exchanged emails in more detail with Gerry.

(Thanks again to all posters above for all the great stuff thus far Very Happy )
PMarione
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried a different tack: the EH biographies as that Lady Percival was a friend of her.

In Sichel: (after the death of HN)
Quote:
Staunch Lady Betty Foster and Lady Perceval did all they could to confordt her, and so too did the humbler Mrs. Lind.

Betty Foster is easier to track:
Quote:
William Cavendish, 5th Duke of Devonshire, was married twice: first, to Lady Georgiana Spencer (1757–1806); second, to Lady Elizabeth Foster, nee Hervey (1759–1824), daughter of the 4th Earl of Bristol, who had been his mistress and his first wife's friend and confidante in a ménage à trois for more than twenty years. They had a natural son: Sir Augustus Clifford, Bart who became an admiral.

They apparently were part of the circle at Merton.
I still vote for Bridget Wynne, the wife of the 4th Earl: the wife of Spencer Perceval would have been noted as Mrs Perceval not Lady.

Bridget Wynne was born at Tower House, Caenarvonshire, Wales. She was the daughter of Lt.-Col. Glynn Wynne and Bridget Pugh. She married John Perceval, 4th Earl of Egmont, son of John James Perceval, 3rd Earl of Egmont and Isabella Paulett, on 10 March 1792 at St. Georges Hanover Square, Westminster, London, England.2 She died on 24 January 1826.
From 10 March 1792, her married name became Perceval. As a result of her marriage, Bridget Wynne was styled as Countess of Egmont on 25 February 1822. She died on 24 Jan 1826.

As an example of how that world was small: the aunt of the 4th Earl, Catharine had married Thomas Glynn, 1st Baron Newborough, the brother of Lt.-Col. Glynn Wynne, and his uncle was Captain the Hon Philip Tufton, RN, etc. etc.

@+P
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ageofnelson.org Forum Index -> Age of Nelson All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1