Link to the related website that has useful info: the Age of Nelson.

This forum is devoted to the Royal Navy during the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars (1793 - 1815).
And why not the other navies of the period?
To avoid spam, you must register to be able to post - it's free.

FAQ         Register         Profile         Search         Log in to check your private messages         Log in
"Trafalgar Diary"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ageofnelson.org Forum Index -> Age of Nelson

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexlitandem

Post Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: "Trafalgar Diary" Reply with quote

This from today's SUN in the U.K.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article1373210.ece

I just love the use of the terms diary and log. Such wonderful journalistic abandon.

Also worth noting perhaps, is this "HMS Belleisle, the first ship in the British line."

I thought Royal Sovereign was some ten minutes or so ahead of Belleisle [see Mark Adkin among others]; is my understanding mistaken?

Be most interested to hear others' comments on this `find'.
PMarione
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me it's again an auction house pitch to rise the price.

Definetly not a log: logs were (huge) books not "A3 folded documents".
It's some contemporary letter or copy.
Will not bet 1000 pound for such an item: no provenance, no author...

The journal of Hargood was published in Sturges Jackson's Great Sea Fights, vol 2, pp 237-240, NRS, 1900

Belleisle was only second to Royal Sovereign.

@+P
alexlitandem

Post Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the listing here [ http://www.ageofnelson.org/MichaelPhillips/info.php?ref=0300 ] , we see the ship named BELLEISLE

In today's SUN, we note the same spelling.

In Peter Goodwin's The Ships of Trafalgar, Belleisle again.

In Mark Adkin's The Trafalgar Companion, Belleisle again.

In Lavery's Nelson's Fleet at Trafalgar, Belleisle.

In WM James? "Belleisle".

And in the copperplate of the item to be sold at Auction? [ I do have eight digital images kindly supplied by the Auction House ].

BELLISLE.

My point?

If the text of the document was COPIED from some earlier source material, it would be odd - but possible - for the `difference' to be made.

If it was written, as DICTATED, then- again - the spelling `difference' [ I'll not say `error' ] could occur, at least once?

Does this missing E tend to lend more or less credence to the suggestion that this is a contemporary or near contemporary document to 1805?

Why would, say, a `forger', spell the Ship's name incorrectly? Double bluff you etc.,?

Do we have contemporary spellings by `authoritative sources' of Belleisle / Bellisle?

I can forward the images generously supplied to me by Charles Hanson upon request.

[Just for information, on the basis of initial conversations, it can be assumed that the document in question has been in the possession of the same family since about 1860. ]

So: Bellisle? Or Belleisle?
PMarione
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the log as given by Jackson:

Quote:
BELLEISLE.

Journal. - W. HARGOOD, Captain.-Official No. 9406.

October 21st.

A.M. - Fresh breezes and squally. Down topgallant yards. Made and shortened sail occasionally. At daylight, saw the enemy's fleet bearing East, distant 9 miles, consisting of 33 sail of the line, 5 frigates, and a brig. 5.40, answered the general signal to form the order of sailing. At 6, answered general signal to bear up and sail large and to prepare for battle. Made all sail, bearing down on enemy. Threw overboard unavoidably, in clearing for action, butts in packs 7. Do., cut for grog and topsail halyard tubs, 2. Do, cut for cook's tubs, 3. Puncheons and harness casks, 2; some beef and pork in harness tubs, iron hoops, 6 parcels, 10 in each; biscuit bags from the different berths, 90 in number. At 8, light airs. Body of enemy's fleet
SE 6 miles, formed in line of battle. 3/4 past 8, Royal Sovereign made signal for larboard division to make more sail. At 9, Admiral made general signal to alter course 1 point to port. 9.20. Royal Sovereign made Belleisle's and Tonnant's signal to exchange places in line of battle, and Belleisle's signal to make more sail ; made all sail. Royal Sovereign made
Belleisle's signal to bear SW of her. 9.40. Royal Sovereign made Belleisle's signal to alter course 1 point to starboard. 11.50. Royal Sovereign made Belleisle's signal to keep closer order. 11.53. Admiral made general signal to prepare to anchor after close of day. 11.55. Enemy from centre to rear opened their fire on Royal Sovereign and Belleisle, which was returned by the Royal Sovereign, and the Admiral made the signal for closer action. At noon, distance from the enemy's line 3/4 of a mile; reserving our fire with all sail set to cut their line. Distance from the Royal Sovereign 2 cables' lengths. Light airs with a heavy swell.
P.M. - Light airs and hazy with a heavy swell. 0.5. Royal Sovereign cut the enemy's line astern of a Spanish three-decked ship bearing a Vice-Admiral's flag. 0.8. Opened our fire on the enemy. 0.13. Cut their line astern of a French 80-gun ship, 2nd to the Spanish Vice-Admiral, at the same time keeping up a heavy fire on both sides. 0.40. Our main topmast was shot away. 1. A French ship bore up to rake us, and a ship on each side engaging us. At 1.10, the mizen mast went 6 feet above the deck. 1.20. The enemy's ship on our starboard side sheered off. 1.30. The enemy's ship, which had laid herself athwart our stern, placed herself on our larboard quarter. At the same time, a fresh ship ranged up on our starboard side. Kept up a heavy fire on them as we could get our guns to bear, the ship being totally unmanageable, most of her rigging and sails being shot. 2.10. Main mast went by the board. 2.30. An enemy's ship placed herself across our starboard bow. 2.45. The fore mast and bowsprit went by the board; still engaging three of the enemy's ships. 3.15. One of our ships passed our bow and took the fire of the enemy's ship lying there. 3.20. The enemy's ship on our starboard side was engaged by one of our ships. 3.25. Swiftsure passed our stern, cheered us, and commenced firing into the enemy's ship on our larboard quarter. Ceased firing, and turned the hands up to clear the wreck. Sent a boat and took possession of a Spanish 80-gun ship, Argonauta. The action still continuing general, cut away the wreck fore and aft. 4.15. The Naiad came down and took us in tow. Sent a lieutenant, the master, and a division of men to the prize. Saw a French ship of the line take fire. 5.10. She blew up. Observed several of the enemy's ships had struck, several making off to leeward, and four French ships of the line going off on the starboard tack. 5.30. The action ceased. People employed securing the guns, clearing and cleaning the ship.

October 22nd.

A.M. - Variously employed. At 8, mustered the ship's company by the ship's books. Found killed in battle two lieutenants, 1 midshipman, and 31 seamen and marines, and 94 seamen and marines wounded. At noon, in tow by the Naiad. Part of the fleet in sight.
P.M. - Strong gales and squally with rain. Set the main and mizen staysails. Employed pumping ship with the chain pumps. At 8, thick weather Fleet not in sight. At 11, wore: ship making much water.

October 23rd.

P.M. - At 4, ranged the bower cables; 4.10, carried away the hawser. Made the signal for a boat. At 6, fresh breezes with rain. At 9, wore: sounded 50 fathoms; no bottom. Burned blu lights occasionally. Got the jib boom up for a fore mast. At 12, hard gales with rain, thunder and lightning. Naiad SW by S 3 miles. Sounded in 40 fathoms; found sand.

October 241h.

A.M. - 1/2 past 3, saw the land on the lee beam Set fore topgallant sail for a foresail. At daylight, saw the Naiad to windward. At 7, she took us in tow. Bent the sheet cable. Standing through the Straits of Gibraltar. At 12, made our number and the signal for assistance.
P.M. - Cast off the tow. Made signal for assistance with a gun. At 1, repeated the signal. Boats came to assist us. Cheered occasionally. 1.20. Let go the best bower anchor. [0ff Gibraltar]

The text differs from "your" document but there was more than one log kept on board: master...

Difficult to say if the misspelling of Belleisle is significant.

On the left page, there is a calculation with 1832 in it.

My opinion is that it's a copy (post 1832 ?) of some log. Writing is too neat to not be a copy.

I wouldn't bet on it, for me it's only worth a 19th c document of some interest, no more.

@+P
alexlitandem

Post Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P,

[Just for clarity: I'm not selling, marketing, nor bidding for or buying the document in question. I have no connection whatsoever with it.

So `the' document rather than `your' document might be better as this evolves?]

I too think this is some early `copy' - but of what original text, specifically and demonstrably?

The Bellisle spelling remains intriguing.
PMarione
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The document you were talking of.

Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ageofnelson.org Forum Index -> Age of Nelson All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1