Link to the related website that has useful info: the Age of Nelson.

This forum is devoted to the Royal Navy during the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars (1793 - 1815).
And why not the other navies of the period?
To avoid spam, you must register to be able to post - it's free.

FAQ         Register         Profile         Search         Log in to check your private messages         Log in
Nelson Primary Source Research Material
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ageofnelson.org Forum Index -> Age of Nelson

View previous topic :: View next topic  
histfan71

Post Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:54 am    Post subject: Nelson Primary Source Research Material Reply with quote

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am writing my Master's thesis about Admiral Nelson's character and I am searching for some more primary source material in addition to what I already have. I have so far: All seven volumes of Sir Nicholas Harris Nicolas, Nelson: The New Letters by Colin White, and George Naish's book of letters from Nelson to Lady Nelson.

Are there any other primary sources anyone on the forum knows about that I have missed? Also, I am in the USA so research trips to the UK or anywhere else outside of California are just not feasable right now.
Peter

Post Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings to our Largest Colony,

You may find this book useful, it is not cheap at £75. But a useful research book.

Eugene L. Rasor, English/British Naval History to 1815: A Guide to Literature, (Greenwood Publishing Group).

Best wishes,
Peter
PMarione
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The place to start: Lord Nelson: A Bibliography by Leonard W Cowie, 1990, ISBN: 978-0313280825

Some other sources:

Memoirs of the Life of Vice-Admiral Lord Viscount Nelson, KB... by Thomas Joseph Pettigrew, London, 1849

The Nelson Collection at Lloyd's by Warren D Dawson (ed), London, 1932

Letters and Despatches of Horatio, Viscount Nelson, KB... by John Knox Laughton (ed), London 1886

Letters from Lord Nelson by Geoffrey Rawson (ed), London, 1949

Would keep you busy for some days.

@+P
histfan71

Post Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, greetings from your BEST colony!

Seriously, thank you both for your replies. The Rasor and Cowie books sound like just what I need. Also, weren't the Pettigrew and Laughton books based heavily on material from Clarke and M'Arthur? I understand that Clarke and M'Arthur are no longer considered reliable sources since they altered the Nelson letters they got a hold of.
PMarione
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly Laughton, I don't remember, but Pettigrew has great stuff.

Don't know as an alien but isn't UK the 51st state of the US? Confused

And please don't vote for McCain of Hillary! Obama is the man.

@+P
histfan71

Post Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PMarione wrote:
Don't know as an alien but isn't UK the 51st state of the US? Confused

Actually, we consider Canada to be the 51st state. Isn't Canada just the US without the clout? Laughing

Just kidding of course, I had to have a little fun. No offense to my northern neighbors.
PMarione
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one more tought: don't neglect Clarke and M'Arthur.
Even if they have edited the letters, it's still the authorized biography.
Just try to find the 2nd or 3rd edition: I was reading it when the bed just gave way, that b__ thing weights more than 20 pounds and there are 2 vols.

You must read Southey too as it was the 1st nelsonian bestseller.

@+P
Redfish

Post Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PMarione wrote:
You must read Southey too as it was the 1st nelsonian bestseller.

The interesting thing about Southey is that he was a contemporary of Nelson. His 'Life of Nelson' was first published in 1813.

Patrick, would you also recommend Roy Hattersley or did I waste my money on that book?

Danni
PMarione
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must confess that Nelson is not my main interest in naval history, so other people are better qualified.

My opinion is that if you have paid more than 1 euro for it, you have wasted your money.

@+P
alexlitandem

Post Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Histfan,

Firstly, I wish you not only much success with the creation of your thesis but - more importantly - also much joy and earned pride.

You ask for primary source material guidance: but, subject to the facet, period, aspect of Nelson's life, battle-strategies, military evolution etc., etc., that you are seriously aiming to add to, it may well be that contributors here, or on like-minded sites, may be able to offer more specific supportive suggestions / materials for you to consider.

So, please, at your leisure, maybe let us all know - without prejudice to the integrity and originality of your thesis - if there are more `specific' data areas you need core source inputs on?

You know of this site, obviously; you may also find helpful clues and source-provocations in the rich tapestry to be found at Mark's site: http://www.aboutnelson.co.uk/

And will also find kind support from posters at

http://www.nelsonandhisworld.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=1

Many of us post across these sites. You will also find much positive support from the 1805 Club, Nelson Society etc.,

Not least, many of us have good libraries, often decent collections of original materials, and not least, some pretty extensive ( collective) links, clues, insights, etc.,

All of the members of those `families' above would be pleased to support you on any specific issues you may have.

Good luck. Enjoy!
alexlitandem

Post Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Histfan,

When you refer to Nelson's character, one immediately wonders to what extent you are addressing / plan to address:

a) The shaping influences on the core ( base-line ) `character' of HN ( if there can be said to be a `resting-state')

b) Whether you anticipate certain evolutionary `chapters' in HN's character. and what `curve-points' you have in mind? Pre vs. post- love, pre vs. post-battle exposure etc., ( the list can be quite long.)

c) Are you intending to attempt any kind of post hoc classification of HN's character by reference to contemporary psychological or related classification tools and variables?

Again, please let us know - as you wish - if we can help find fresh grass to tread with you?
histfan71

Post Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex,

Thank you for your kind offer of support. The title of my thesis is “Heroic Myth and Contrasting Reality: A Character Study of Horatio Nelson."

My thesis statement is "Only when the true character of Horatio Nelson is exposed can Nelson serve as an inspiration and example when facing common, universal challenges."

To answer your questions:

alexlitandem wrote:
a) The shaping influences on the core ( base-line ) `character' of HN ( if there can be said to be a `resting-state')

Yes, I plan to look at Nelson's childhood (what little of it we know) and his relationships with women.

alexlitandem wrote:
b) Whether you anticipate certain evolutionary `chapters' in HN's character. and what `curve-points' you have in mind? Pre vs. post- love, pre vs. post-battle exposure etc., ( the list can be quite long.)

I will examine some of this. In particular how Nelson's religious beliefs contrasted with his actual behavior. I will also explore Nelson's sense of duty as he practiced it in the West Indies as a young captian of the Boreas and the scandal he caused in the situation between Prince William Henry and Lt. Issac Schomburg.

alexlitandem wrote:
c) Are you intending to attempt any kind of post hoc classification of HN's character by reference to contemporary psychological or related classification tools and variables?

Yes, this will play a major role in my thesis. I plan to use studies by Erik Erickson and Sigmund Freud to help me analyze much of Nelson's behavior.

Basically I am going to present Nelson as a portrait of contridictions. He was loyal to his men but unfaithful to his wife. He bravely suffered wounds in combat but he could not confront his wife in person to end their marriage. He was merciful to his own men and even to the enemy, but he was ruthless and cruel to those he considered traitors. You get the idea.
Peter

Post Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Histfan,

Your final paragraph sums up things so well - good luck with your work.

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ageofnelson.org Forum Index -> Age of Nelson All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1