Link to the related website that has useful info: the Age of Nelson.

This forum is devoted to the Royal Navy during the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars (1793 - 1815).
And why not the other navies of the period?
To avoid spam, you must register to be able to post - it's free.

FAQ         Register         Profile         Search         Log in to check your private messages         Log in
God is in the detail?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ageofnelson.org Forum Index -> Age of Nelson

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexlitandem

Post Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: God is in the detail? Reply with quote

There is a document, signed in autograph`Nelson & Bronte', in the forthcoming (April 1/2nd) auction to be held by Stargardt in Berlin, that offers another of those tiny `glimpses' into life in Nelson's Navy.

First, herewith the link to Stargardt:

http://www.stargardt.de/englisch/index.html

The document in question (LOT 1080) is written by - I believe - John Scott, acting under direction of Nelson and is dated "on board Victory in the Bay of Pula, 8.VIII. 1804."

It is addressed to " the Masters of His Majesty's Ships Donegal, Leviathan and Ambuscade by Command of the Vice Admiral..."

The text, in part, is as follows:

" Captain Stuart of His Majesty's Ship Royal Sovereign, having represented to me by letter of this date that there are four Bags of Bread on board the said Ship, wet with saltwater in a heated state, and unfit for men to eat.

You are hereby required and directed to repair on board the said Ship and take a most strict and careful survey on the said four Bags of Bread complained of, which if found as represented and unfit to be issued, you will leave it in Charge of the Purser, to be returned into His Majesty's Stores; Reporting to me a very full and distinct account of your proceedings herein."

I find that all very, if I may say, `Napoleonic' in a way. Insofar as no minute / tactical detail was beneath Nap's notice nor engagement.

I'm assuming `Four Bags of Bread' was somewhat more significant than four loaves!

Seriously, this item despite its apparent simplicity, maybe offers much in terms of its connotations in several directions: the importance attached to ensuring His Majesty's fleet was not defrauded, to ensuring that no on board embezzlement was occurring, to ensuring that men would get their due rations and to ensuring that it was known (by all) that Nelson would personally involve himself in any such issues etc.,

Estimate EUROS 3,000 plus 20% premium.
PMarione
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: and Emma begging for money Reply with quote

The next item in the sale (1081) is very interesting too, dating for the hard days of EH in Calais.
http://www.stargardt.de/auktion_0408/STA_06.HTM

To Robert Fulke Greville - Calais, 21 September 1814
Quote:
Sir
you know that my Jointure of Eight Hundred pounds a year has been now for a long time acumulating
if I was to Die I shou’d ... have left that mony away
for the anuitants have no right to have it nor can they claim it
for I was most Dreadfully imposed on for my good nature in being Bail
for a person whom I thought Honourable
when I came away I came with Honor as the elderman Smith can inform you
but mine own innocence keeps me up and I despise all false publications and aspersions
I have given every thing up to pay just debts but anuitants I never will
now Sir let me intreak you to send me a hundred pounds for I understand you have the money
I live very quiet in a farm house and my health is now quite established
let me Sir beg this favor to

your Humble Servant
E Hamilton.

Estimate 1,600 eur.

The Hon Colonel Robert Fulke Greville was the brother of the controversial Hon Charles Greville.
At the death of his brother (still a bachelor) in 1809, Robert had inherited the estates of WH in Wales and with them the annuity to pay to EH.
He answered that she had already pledged her annuity.

@+P
alexlitandem

Post Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Text of both letters, in full, in Winifred Gerin's `Horatia Nelson'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ageofnelson.org Forum Index -> Age of Nelson All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1