Link to the related website that has useful info: the Age of Nelson.

This forum is devoted to the Royal Navy during the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars (1793 - 1815).
And why not the other navies of the period?
To avoid spam, you must register to be able to post - it's free.

FAQ         Register         Profile         Search         Log in to check your private messages         Log in
Duplication of effort... not to mention spending my money
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ageofnelson.org Forum Index -> Age of Nelson

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexlitandem

Post Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Duplication of effort... not to mention spending my money Reply with quote

There is the Ayshford Trafalgar Roll.

There is the National Archives Trafalgar Ancestors database.

Why exactly did the NA / PRO allocate tax-payers' resources (my money) to Bruno P, to create - ultimately - the current N.A. `Trafalgar Ancestors' database, when Pam and Derek Ayshford had already put in some ten plus man / woman years of research?

I understand - but may well be wrong in thinking that- they were not `calibrated'!

In short... what was Bruno ( and all the help-staff) being paid to do that was original and that hadn't already been done by the Ayshfords?

Why - apparently - duplicate... rather than admire, `sample-check randomly', endorse / refine and / or enrich?

Did BP and his team, funded by `me' ( the taxpayer), use the findings of Pam and Derek? Or not?

Did BP even know how much research had already been conducted by P&D? Or not?

Was it simply a case that the PRO / NA team and management were unaware of the Ayshford work?

Or, are there very substantive differences between the two Trafalgar Rolls that would explain why the NA's was compiled seemingly independently of the Ayshford Roll.

Or, was it not possible, for legal or other such reasons, for the NA team to be able to negotiate to make credited use of the product of all the time and energy of the Ayshfords?

Or, yet again a `Race to the Roll' (rather than a `Race to the Pole')?

Bruno? P&D? Anyone?

I would really love to know.
PMarione
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is that Bruno P was perfectly aware of Pam and Derek as they often discussed with him.
They often complained to me that they couldn't access boxes because they were in BP office.
They have worked for 20 years on that project.
The (then) PRO project was kept secret. By chance Pam and Derek CD was published before the PRO DB. They won the race to the roll.

I suppose that the PRO had to do something for the Trafalgar Bicentenary.
Did BP uses Pam and Derek findings? I have no idea.

They could certainly have spent that money on another useful project: medical records, court martials, etc.

@+P
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ageofnelson.org Forum Index -> Age of Nelson All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1