Link to the related website that has useful info: the Age of Nelson.

This forum is devoted to the Royal Navy during the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars (1793 - 1815).
And why not the other navies of the period?
To avoid spam, you must register to be able to post - it's free.

FAQ         Register         Profile         Search         Log in to check your private messages         Log in
London, Belfast, Edinbugh Gazettes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ageofnelson.org Forum Index -> Hint and tips for researchers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PMarione
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: London, Belfast, Edinbugh Gazettes Reply with quote

These Gazettes are available online at http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/

These were the official paper for all the official dispatches, promotions, medals, etc.
They are the sources of all the histories of battles, fights etc like the Naval Chronicle, Beatson, Brenton, James etc.
Redfish

Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I already found this website and was very pleased with this online availability of the Gazettes. It saved me a (few!) trip(s) to England. What I did miss, however, in the gazette was general news: important "worldsnews" and the like. Possibilities:
1) I did not search the right way (I searched on Holland, on dutch, on prince of orange and I could not find anything). I would be happy to get some hints;
2)I expect too much of the newspapers of those days and I am simply a spoilt modern person;
3) Surely newspapers reported on the progress of the war in general, heavy storms that roamed the shores etc. but I did not search in teh right place. Does anyone know if there was such general news available during the revolutionary and Napoleontic wars, and if so: where I can find it?
Redfish

Post Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, in addition to my former message/question: now I read it agian after some time, I can imagine that it looks a little silly Embarassed . Hence some addiotional lines:
I am trying to find out what the English people could know about any developments in military and political events in Europe, especially Holland, during the Revolutionary War and the Napoleontic War. Could they have known (and if yes: how soon; what were their sources) that the French had crossed the frozen Dutch rivers at the end of 1794, and could they have known that the Prince of Orange left for England in a fishingboat not long after (januari 1795; via other means than noble 'gossip' from out of London Wink ). I suppose this information might make my earlier question seem a little less silly (as it undoubtedly must have appeared to be) to others. As I am Dutch I do not know what newspapers existed in England at the time, besides the Gazette, and I therefore do not know what kind of news they reported on.
PMarione
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you must look for is the Times.

There are archives online but if I remember well you have to subscribe.

@+P
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ageofnelson.org Forum Index -> Hint and tips for researchers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1