Link to the related website that has useful info: the Age of Nelson.

This forum is devoted to the Royal Navy during the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars (1793 - 1815).
And why not the other navies of the period?
To avoid spam, you must register to be able to post - it's free.

FAQ         Register         Profile         Search         Log in to check your private messages         Log in
Medical histories
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ageofnelson.org Forum Index -> Age of Nelson

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kate.holt

Post Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Pensioners Reply with quote

Thanks Patrick, I did say I may be making beginners mistakes!

Mind you , It was worth a shot!

But why would he have the rank rather than just being a "inpatient" albeit with a title?

One day I may just get the hang of all this,
Thanks again,
PMarione
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But why would he have the rank rather than just being a "inpatient" albeit with a title?

Because it was a "promotion" given by the Admiralty. It included a good salary, a house, coal and candles, etc.
Far better than living in some dorm.

I have never seen an officer being a pensioner. The only ones I know of were "out-pensioners".

@+P
kate.holt

Post Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:17 am    Post subject: Pensioners Reply with quote

Thanks.
That is alot clearer.
chasbaz

Post Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Medical history Reply with quote

I have a note extracted from Naval Biographies which says that my ggggfr was in fact treated at the Haslar.

From O'Byrne, 1849:
Feb 27, 1809: Joseph ‘while cruizing near Bilbao, on the North coast of Spain, was detached in charge of a single boat in pursuit of a French man-of-war schooner, La Mouche, which he gallantly boarded and captured, after an action in which her commander, a lieutenant-de-vaisseau, was killed. A night or two afterwards he was again successfully engaged in the boats in cutting out from under the batteries in a neighbouring port three armed luggers, laden with stores and provisions for the French army in Spain; and while in the act of boarding one of the vessels, was severely wounded by a musket-ball in the left thigh [vide Gaz. 1814, pp.980-83] which placed him for some months under surgical treatment, and eventually rendered him lame for life. On being sufficiently recovered, Lieut. Bazalgette was appointed [to his next command] in Feb 1810.’

So he was off receiving treatment for a year. If anyone has a copy of O'Byrne, please check what the reference given in the above text refers to i.e., [vide Gaz. 1814, pp.980-83]. Hopefully this book has more detail, which I would like to see.

Many thanks
PMarione
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaz. most certainly means "London Gazette" which was the official paper of the time with promotions, official dispatches, etc.

They have a collection at TNA, maybe you can ask for a copy as you have the exact ref.

@+P
chasbaz

Post Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Gaz Reply with quote

Patrick,
Of course - that is probably it. Many thanks again.
Charles
chasbaz

Post Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: London Gazette Reply with quote

I found (news to me at least) that the archive of the London Gazette is fully searchable and pages downloadable in pdf format.

Very useful for official reports of naval actions as well as for court decisions, dissolutions of partnerships and other government announcements.

URL:
http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveSearch.asp?WebType=0
Langstone

Post Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: London Gazette Reply with quote

Many thanks indeed for the link to the London gazette - very useful!
PMarione
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charles,

Great!
You have found a very! useful ressource.
I'll add it in the "useful tools".

@+P
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ageofnelson.org Forum Index -> Age of Nelson All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2