Link to the related website that has useful info: the Age of Nelson.

This forum is devoted to the Royal Navy during the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars (1793 - 1815).
And why not the other navies of the period?
To avoid spam, you must register to be able to post - it's free.

FAQ         Register         Profile         Search         Log in to check your private messages         Log in
American Navy vs. US Navy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ageofnelson.org Forum Index -> Age of Nelson

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Langstone

Post Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: American Navy vs. US Navy Reply with quote

Presumably this forum will also be happy to discuss the navy of the United States of America, and in particular the war of 1812? If so, I would be pleased to hear anyone's views on the use of the term American Navy as opposed to the US Navy or the United States Navy. The same reviewer who got so worked up about what he saw as the incorrect use of the term 'British Navy' was also furious about the use of the term 'American Navy'. Surely American Navy is perfectly acceptable to describe the navy of the United States up to the end of the 1812 war? I myself prefer it to the term 'United States Navy', as it is easier to say and write, but am I wrong?
PMarione
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the reviewer was not happy because one probably can refer to the pre-independance navy as "American Navy".
kriend

Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:15 am    Post subject: American Navy vs. US Navy Reply with quote

The U.S. Navy is the proper modern term, but if you use American Navy I know whose navy you would be discussing. I am an American that was in the United States Navy. For those anal old salts out there I want to inform you that nowhere on my enlistment papers was the term “American Navy”. But, if from your side of the Atlantic, if you use the term American Navy it is not offensive to me.

Most of our Naval resistance in the American Revolution consisted predominately of privateers and there were very few U.S. Naval vessels comparatively. So, I agree with position of not wanting to call these American Ships collectively the U. S. Navy, because they weren’t.

American Navy? It’s all a matter of context. It could be just a matter of trying to describe an era or period of our navy by some. To many, and I happen to be in this group, our beginning as a U.S. naval power was the War of 1812.

What brought me to this site was the research of my 4th great-grandfather and his service on the frigate Confederacy. She was captured in April 1781, refitted, and placed in the Royal Navy service as the Confederate. I was hoping to find out was became of her but nothing.

One of the newspaper articles I was reading before visiting this site had use of United States and American States; I’ll place it below. Either way I understand which county is the topic of discussion but I found the usage of American States odd at first.

From the Martinica Gazette, Dec. 16, 1779
Saturday last the Continental frigate Confederacy, mounting 36 guns, and commanded by Capt. Harding, came into our road. This frigate left Philadelphia the 27th of October, destined for France, and met with a gale of wind on the banks of Newfoundland, lost all her masts, and had six feet of water in her hold; she arrived in the midst of perils. The Count de Gerard, late Minister Plenipotentiary from the court of France to the United States; and his Excellency John Jay, who goes to represent the American States at the Court of Madrid, were in this frigate. It is with great satisfaction that we have seen these Ministers arrive here, who are of such interesting characters and personal qualities, especially after the dangers they have been exposed to.
Messieurs Gerard and Jay, sailed for France the 28th inst. in the frigate l’ Aurore, Commanded by M. Desflottes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ageofnelson.org Forum Index -> Age of Nelson All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1