Link to the related website that has useful info: the Age of Nelson.

This forum is devoted to the Royal Navy during the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars (1793 - 1815).
And why not the other navies of the period?
To avoid spam, you must register to be able to post - it's free.

FAQ         Register         Profile         Search         Log in to check your private messages         Log in
Royal Navy late 1700- early 1800
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ageofnelson.org Forum Index -> Age of Nelson

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pinky

Post Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Royal Navy late 1700- early 1800 Reply with quote

My 3 x great grandmother Elizabeth Pound born Clerkenwell 1790. is on the 1861 census, described as widow, pensioned - husband Captain R.N.
Her husband was Charles Pound, have no other knowledge of him. They were married in 1816 at St Brides Fleet Street, London.

She is also on the 1841 and 1851 census, of independant means, but Charles Pound not on any of these.

Just wondered whether Charles Pound was lost at sea, and if I can find anything at all appertaining to his service.

Many thanks

Mo
Pinky

Post Posted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a breakthrough on Charles Pound, found he married in 1814 StMarys Islington, not St Brides Fleet St, He was born in 1791 at Curry Rivel Somerset, came to London as a Tailor, but went in Navy sometime after 1817.Lost at sea in the Bay of Biscay after 1817, but before first census of 1841 His widow drew Pension.
Can anyone help me where I can find any details of when he drowned and what ship, and where I can find details of pension.
Mo
PMarione
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have checked some Navy lists around 1830 - 1835 and can't find any Charles Pound or similiar as RN officer.

If he was born in 1791, he was 26 when he entered the RN. That's a very old age to become an officer specially in time of peace.
That would have made him a Lt not before 1823 at minimum with 2 more years (minimum) to be Commander and 2 years (minimum) to be Captain with a very crowded list.

You can check ADM 6/356 (Certificates and other papers submitted by applicants to the Charity for the relief of Officers' Widows) and be lucky on the National Archives website - alas they are ordered by date not by name.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/browser.asp?CATLN=3&CATID=109&GPE=False&DOWN=TRUE&MARKER=15000&MARKERSCN=

@+P
Pinky

Post Posted: Sun May 15, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: Charles Pound Reply with quote

Thank you so much, maybe it was poetic licence, as I think the nephew must have given the details of 1861 census, I have a feeling it was the Merchant Navy, as his brother in law named Thompson was a Mariner,and later a ship owner.
Mo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ageofnelson.org Forum Index -> Age of Nelson All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1