Link to the related website that has useful info: the Age of Nelson.

This forum is devoted to the Royal Navy during the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars (1793 - 1815).
And why not the other navies of the period?
To avoid spam, you must register to be able to post - it's free.

FAQ         Register         Profile         Search         Log in to check your private messages         Log in
Ship Names(meanings)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ageofnelson.org Forum Index -> Age of Nelson

View previous topic :: View next topic  
James

Post Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Ship Names(meanings) Reply with quote

I'm trying to find the definition of the French words Pallas and Renommee.
I think Pallas means giant, specifically a Titan but I'm not sure, and I can't find anything as to the meaning of the word Renommee. Any help with the meaning of these words would be grateful! Mr. Green

James
PMarione
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frigates' names are always feminine and contrary to English the ships-of-the-line names masculine.
That gives a good clue on the difference of thinking between the two nations.

So Pallas (feminine) can be either an epithet of the goddess Athena as in "Pallas Athena" or a water nymphe, daughter of Triton, who was accidentally killed by her friend Athena. Out of sadness and regret, Athena created the palladium, a statue in the likeness of Pallas.

I opt for the second one.

Renommée (with an accent) is a quality meaning simply "famous" (and not re-elected as suggested by my dictionary Smile ).
As a noon it can be translated as "fame".

@+P
James

Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Ship Names(meanings) Reply with quote

Thanks for the help!
Can you tell me if the word Semillante means "shiny" ?
Can you suggest an online dictionary that translates French to English?
Again, thanks for the help,

James
PMarione
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sémillante (again with an accent) is difficult to translate. I can't find an exact corresponding word. It's an adjective.
One say that for somebody (more often a woman) who is merry, jolly, sparkling, sharp, alive, dashing, vivacious...
Collins gives "vivacious".

You can try the Google translator which is not worst than others but the result is often funny. Translators generally works better from English to French than the contrary (all you have to correct is the grammar).
French is very difficult to translate. I never translate what I write : I try to think directly in English (even my poor English).

@+P
James

Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:47 am    Post subject: Ship Names(meanings) Reply with quote

Hey your English can't be as bad as mine. Laughing
Thanks for the help!

James
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ageofnelson.org Forum Index -> Age of Nelson All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1