Link to the related website that has useful info: the Age of Nelson.

This forum is devoted to the Royal Navy during the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars (1793 - 1815).
And why not the other navies of the period?
To avoid spam, you must register to be able to post - it's free.

FAQ         Register         Profile         Search         Log in to check your private messages         Log in
Commander Joseph William Bazalgette, RN
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ageofnelson.org Forum Index -> Age of Nelson

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PMarione
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Commander Joseph William Bazalgette, RN Reply with quote

Quote:
However, I have been drawn into starting to research the life of Louis' son and my ggggfr, Joseph William Bazalgette, R.N., which accounts for my obsession, at this late stage in my life, with all things nautical. Joseph was in the Royal Navy from 1796 to 1814, so he is right in period.

Apart from extensive family history data about him I have an extract from O'Byrne's Naval Biographies, so I know what ships he served on and mostly their commanders, which included John Willett Payne, Edward Pellew, John MacKellar, John Watson, Charles Adam, Anselm John Griffiths, Henry Blackwood and Josias Rowley. I am researching the careers of these men and starting to gather ship information from muster rolls and officers' logs. I expect it to be a very long haul, and will be grateful for any help and encouragement. In return I hope to share some of the bits of information that I discover along the way.

Charles,

Welcome to this forum.

Here is what I have on your ggggfr.

According his passing certificate at the TNA, he was born on 17 December 1781, in London.
He entered the RN on 5 October 1796.
Passed his examination on 1 June 1803.
Lt on 12 June 1806.
Commander on 17 May 1814.
Died on 10 January 1849, in Enfield.
He married Theresa Philo Pilton and had children.

After checking your (impressive) family tree, I think you know a lot more about your ancestor than me.
chasbaz

Post Posted: Sat May 05, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Patrick,

Thanks for your kind welcome.

Thanks also for the records you quoted for Joseph. I don't think I had his exam date. If the birth record was what was submitted to the Navy that is interesting, because he was born in 1783, not 1781, so perhaps it was an attempt to falsify his age, though his actual age on joining (12) was not unusual at all. His death date is correct, but although he had a house in Enfield, he actually died at Ryde, IOW and was buried at Brading, where he presumably had a 'retirement' house.

Apart from ship logs etc I suppose there are admiralty records like exams and other career data.

Piecing together a life is very interesting, and I know I'll have fun with it. Having a naval ancestor is better than many sorts because of the records that exist. Although Joseph doesn't seem to have been engaged in any major sea battles, which would have affected his career prospects presumably, he still managed to distinguish himself.
PMarione
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat May 05, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem was not him joining at 12, it was him passing his examination when he was not 20. Many officers used that trick.

For now I have found about 1500 such fake certificates.

You have put together a lot of useful information on your website.
chasbaz

Post Posted: Sun May 13, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick,
Very interesting about the certificates - thank you.
If you have a copy of the certificate, does it show any more details?
Like where the exam was held and who was on the board?

Thanks and best wishes,
Charles.
PMarione
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will find is passing examination info at TNA (ex-PRO) ADM107/29 ff322-324 and ADM6/101 f24.

You are lucky as there is a (fake) baptism certificate.

He entered the RN on 5 October 1796 as Volunteer First Class on board the Impetueux.
Passed his examination on 1 June 1803, having be on books for 6y 7m 1w 4d.

There is a notice to his son Sir Joseph William in the new edition of the DNB at http://www.oxforddnb.com/view/article/1787?docPos=1
chasbaz

Post Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick,
Terrific!
I will order those documents.

Many thanks,
Charles
PMarione
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found a description of Commander Joseph William Bazalgette, RN :

"In person, he is small, about five feet five inches high, and firmly, though lightly, made. His complexion is very dark, his hair thick, and of an iron-grey colour; his eyes are black and expressive, and his nose aquiline. His manner at all times is very gentleman-like, with a certain determination in his air, and great coolness and precision in his mode of speaking."
Redfish

Post Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PMarione wrote:
The problem was not him joining at 12, it was him passing his examination when he was not 20.

Was the minimum age not 19 at the time?

Charles, good luck with your search!
PMarione
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The regulation was modified in 1806 but when he passed his examination in 1803, the rule still was 20 years.

@+P
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ageofnelson.org Forum Index -> Age of Nelson All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1