A |  B |  C |  D |  E |  F |  G |  H |  I |  J |  K |  L |  M |  N |  O |  P |  Q |  R |  S |  T |  U |  V |  W |  X |  Y |  Z

Use quotes like in "Aboukir Bay" to search phrases.
Use * as a wildcard like in "Trafalg*".

UNDAUNTED (38) Built in 1807, Woolwich.
Broken up in 1860.

  • 1813 Capt. Thomas USSHER, 02/1813, Mediterranean.
    On 18 March 1813 UNDAUNTED landed a party of seamen and marines under the orders of the first lieutenant, Mr Aaron TOZER, assisted by Mr CLENNAN, master, act. Lieut. SALKELD and Lieut. Hunt of the Royal Marines, at Carri (Carry-le-Rouet) to the westward of Marseilles. Here they stormed and carried a battery containing four long 24-pounders, one 6-pounder and a 13 inch mortar. The enemy only fled when the marines charged with bayonets and suffered a severe loss. UNDAUNTED's losses were two killed and one wounded.
  • The boats of VOLONTAIRE, UNDAUNTED and REDWING, under the command of Lieut. Isaac SHAW of the VOLONTAIRE attacked Morgiou, a few miles east of Cap Croisette, on the night of 30 March.
    They landed at Sormiou and marched over the hills at daylight to attack two batteries from the rear.
    After some resistance from 40 troops they were carried and five 36-pounders in one, and two 24-pounders in the other, were thrown into the sea. A mortar was spiked and all the ammunition destroyed. Other boats, though opposed by two field pieces, brought out 11 vessels of between 25 and 45 tons laden with oil and destroyed two others. UNDAUNTED lost one marine killed and two marines severely wounded.
  • The French immediately started preparations to remount the cannon in the batteries so Capt. MOUBRAY in REPULSE, learning of this from Capt. WALDEGRAVE of VOLONTAIRE, sent in 100 marines from his ship on 2 May to join those from the frigates to finally destroy the enemy works. They were led by Lieut. SHAW because of his local knowledge and, covered by REDWING and launches with carronades, they landed and drove back a detachment of the 4th. battalion of the 1st. regiment of the line, the enemy losing at least 12 killed. The batteries, gun mountings and the 13 inch mortar were blown up (Lieut. SHAW was wounded by the explosion) and six vessels, variously laden with salt, wine, leather, flour and bricks, were brought out. Capt. USSHER, noticing that they were fastened to the shore by hawsers from the masthead, went along side one vessel under a heavy fire of musketry from soldiers on the cliffs. As he and his boat's crew scrambled uninjured aboard the prize, his gig filled up to the thwarts.
    UNDAUNTED lost one seaman, L. NOSKI, killed and two seamen, John DALE and J. SULLIVAN, wounded.
    The following day UNDAUNTED chased a ship under the guns in the Bay of Marseilles and kept up an animated exchange of fire while Lieut. William OLDREY and a boat's crew brought out a brig lying at the entrance to the port.
    On 7 May UNDAUNTED's boats captured two coasting vessels out of a convoy and drove several ashore.
    A squall prevented them taking the schooner escort although they gave chase for as long as they could, but Lieut. OLDREY was dangerously wounded and his crew had also suffered.
  • Early in August UNDAUNTED and ESPOIR discovered a number of vessels at Cassis, about 8 miles east of Cap Croisette. Capt. USSHER left ESPOIR to blockade the port and sailed to meet Sir Edward PELLEW off Cap Sicie. He returned with REDWING, 200 marines and a detachment of boats from CALEDONIA, HIBERNIA, BARFLEUR and the PRINCE OF WALES. Contrary winds prevented the attack for several days and when it took place on the 18th. UNDAUNTED could not take up her planned anchorage abreast the town.
  • Four batteries defended the entrance of the bay and two French gunboats were moored across the entrance of the mole but REDWING and ESPOIR swept in under heavy fire to within 50 yards of the town to cover the landing. The marines under Capt. Jeremiah COGHLAN, RN drove the French before them at the point of the bayonet, through the batteries to the heights behind the town.
    Lieut. Hunt, RM being the first to enter the citadel by a ladder which broke, leaving him alone on the parapet.
    The boats under Capt. SINCLAIR of REDWING then entered the mole and brought out two gunboats and 24 merchant vessels and destroyed one gunboat and one tartan A small party under Capt. SPENCER of ESPOIR in a windmill at the back of the town covered the re-embarkation which was accomplished without any of the houses or private property being touched. Lieut. TOZER of UNDAUNTED was wounded as were four of her marines.
  • ESPOIR took the marines and boats back to the fleet while UNDAUNTED and REDWING convoyed the prizes to Minorca where, joined by ESPOIR, they re-fitted at Port Mahon before returning to Sir Edward PELLEW.
  • UNDAUNTED and GUADALOUPE attacked the port of Nouvelle, 25 miles north of the Spanish frontier, on 9 November. The batteries were stormed by the marines, which included 100 lent from CALEDONIA, led by Lieut. Hunt, RM under the orders of of the first Lieutenant, Joseph HOWNAM. The principal defence was a 30 foot high tower and so many attempted to climb the first scaling ladder that it broke, leaving a boatswain's mate of UNDAUNTED and a marine alone on the wall. French soldiers attempted to drag the sailor towards the furnace used for heating shot but he was rescued by the marine who bayoneted two of the enemy. The two then made prisoners of the 40 soldiers of the garrison before the second ladder could be set up. Two vessels were captured and 3 destroyed bringing the total taken under Capt. USSHER's command to seventy. On this occasion only one man was wounded.
  • UNDAUNTED spent the severe winter of 1813 off Toulon as senior ship in the small blockading squadron while the big ships withdrew.
    During the night of 21 April 1814 she and EURYALUS were attracted by a brilliant glow over Marseilles and the following morning they approached the Ratonneau Islands to find the telegraphs deserted and no colours flying.
    Capt. USSHER hoisted a flag of truce but a shot from one of the batteries which struck the main-deck.
    When a second shot was fired, UNDAUNTED discharged her broadside at point blank range, and was about to fire a second when the mayor of Marseilles arrived in a boat to announce the abdication of Napoleon.
  • UNDAUNTED and EURYALUS entered the harbour to an enthusiastic welcome from the populace and Capt. USSHER went to meet Col. Neil Campbell who had arrived from Paris with orders from Lord Castlereagh.
  • UNDAUNTED was required to carry the fallen emperor to Elba, so Capt. USSHER left EURYALUS at Marseilles and proceeded to Frejus on the 23rd. Napoleon rejected a passage in the French frigate DRYAD and embarked on UNDAUNTED on the bright moonlit evening of the 28th.
    Escorted by Capt. USSHER, with the British, Prussian and Russian envoys following in their own carriages, Napoleon Buonaparte went down to the beach where a regiment of cavalry was drawn up and entered the barge.
    At Elba the first lieutenant, Mr Thomas HASTINGS, and Col. Campbell went ashore to take possession of the island and at 7 A. M on 1 May UNDAUTED anchored abreast of the town and on the 3rd. Napoleon landed to take over his new kingdom.
    UNDAUNTED remained at Elba until the transports bringing Napoleon's troops and baggage had been unloaded and then set sail for Genoa where Capt. USSHER was removed to the DUNCAN (74).
  • 1814 Capt. Charles T. SMITH, Mediterranean. By the end of 1815 she was out of commission at Chatham.
  • She was re-commissioned by Capt. A. W. J. CLIFFORD on 11 August 1827.
  • 1831 Capt. Edward HARVEY, 03/1811/1830, Cape of Good Hope - East Indies. She was ordered home in 1833 and remained at Portsmouth until she was used as a target in 1856.

back  |  intro  |  home  |  contact

© 1995, 2007 Michael Phillips