A |  B |  C |  D |  E |  F |  G |  H |  I |  J |  K |  L |  M |  N |  O |  P |  Q |  R |  S |  T |  U |  V |  W |  X |  Y |  Z

Use quotes like in "Aboukir Bay" to search phrases.
Use * as a wildcard like in "Trafalg*".

SHELDRAKE (16) Built in 1806, Hythe.
Sold in 1816.

  • 1806 John THICKNESSE, Guernsey Jersey.

    On 12 October 1806 CONSTANCE (22), SHELDRAKE, STRENUOUS and the hired cutter BRITANNIA left the anchorage of the Isles de Chausey at 6 AM
    and set course for St. Malo.
    A sail was sighted off Cap Frehel and they swept towards it.
    About noon their quarry hauled in close to the rocks off Erquy, put out bow and quarter springs and prepared to defend herself covered by a battery of guns on the cliffs and the field guns and muskets of troops which had been brought up.
  • SHELDRAKE led the squadron into action followed by STRENUOUS and they all anchored within a pistol shot of the enemy.
    From 2 PM
    a continuous heavy fire was exchanged for two hours until the Frenchman struck.
    Since Capt BURROWES of CONSTANCE had been killed Capt. THICKNESSE sent his first Lieutenant, Richard KEVERN, to take possession. She proved to be the SALAMANDRE, a frigate-built ship armed with twenty-six 12 and 18 -pounders and carrying a crew of 150 men. She was bound for Brest from St. Malo with ship's timber.
  • CONSTANCE and the prize had both taken the ground and, in spite of the heavy fire from the shore, great efforts were made to get them off, but without success.
    After one attempt Mr Henry FRAZER, master of the SHELDRAKE was among the missing.
  • During the night SHELDRAKE and STRENUOUS, her foremast shot away, stood off but at day-break they came back in to find that CONSTANCE was lying keel up the rocks a complete wreck.
    However the French managed to get her into St. Malo where she was repaired.
    Lieut. William LAWRENCE, 2nd of SHELDRAKE, destroyed the prize by fire and 100 of the officers and men of CONSTANCE were brought off.
    Nine wounded men, two in a dying state, were taken out of SALAMANDRE and Lieut. LAWRENCE saw about 30 lying dead on her decks.
    Many of her crew escaped in boats or swam to the shore.
  • SHEDRAKE had one man killed, Seaman John BROWN, and two wounded, Seamen Edward HUNT and John CULBETT.
    Thirteen were either killed or died later on CONSTANCE, including Capt. Alexander BURROWES, and twelve were wounded.
    STRENUOUS lost five wounded.
  • Although Mr Richard KEVERN, the first lieutenant of SHELDRAKE, was recommended to their Lordships by the captain for his part in the action, he had to wait until 1827 to become a commander (Ret.)
  • 1808 Ditto, Plymouth.
    On 13 January 1808 Sergeant Francis ABURROW of the Royal Marines was acquitted by a court martial of charges of negligence and neglect of duty.
  • On 19 February 1809 Capt. THICKNESSE captured a French ship laden with wheat.
    As he took his prize to Guernsey she suddenly went down by the head.
    Mr William HUBBARD, SHELDRAKE's master; a midshipman and nine British and two French seamen were drowned.
    Most of the crew had been below, stopping a small leak which had been discovered in the cabin, when the pumps became clogged with grain.
    They managed to run up the rigging but the only man who was saved lowered himself into a small boat floating off the booms by means of the mainstay.
    He had just pushed clear of the top-gallant yard arm as it was disappearing.
    When he recovered from his surprise he called out, but all was silent Capt. THICKNESSE was promoted to post captain February 1810.
  • 1811 James Pattison STEWART, Baltic.
    When information was received that the Danes intended to attack the British garrison on the island of Anholt, TARTAR, WRANGLER and SAFEGUARD were ordered there from Yarmouth.
    Since the latter two were not ready, TARTAR sailed with SHELDRAKE on 20 March and anchored of the north side of the island on the 26th.
    Just before dawn on the following day the sentries on the south side signalled the sighting of a enemy flotilla and TARTAR weighed to run to the eastward round the Knobens Shoal.
    The Danish flotilla of 16 gunboats made off as soon as the frigate appeared and SHELDRAKE positioned herself to cut them off.
    At about half past four in the afternoon she brought five of them to action and one struck almost immediately. She was No.9, armed with two long 18-pounders and four brass howitzers.
    As soon as the 65 prisoners were taken on board, Capt. STEWART made for the largest lugger which also surrendered after exchanging a few shot. She proved to be gunboat No.
  • 1 with two long 24-pounders and four brass howitzers and with 60 men on board.
  • As night was coming on and SHELDRAKE had on board 40 more prisoners than her own crew, Capt. STEWART had to discontinue the action.
    SHELDRAKE suffered no casualties and little damage.
  • On Anholt the Danish forces were defeated by the British troops and marines with the loss of four officers killed, including the commander Major Melsteat, and sixteen officers and more than five hundred men taken prisoner.
    In fact the island was so encumbered with prisoners that the British commander, Capt. MAURICE, had to arrange for them to be sent back to Jutland on parole in TARTAR and SHELDRAKE.
  • A convoy of merchantmen under the protection of CRESSY, DEFENCE, DICTATOR, SHELDRAKE and BRUIZER was attacked on 5 July 1811 by a flotilla of 17 gun vessels and 10 row boats off Hielm Island.
    Two of the four enemy boats which were lost struck to SHELDRAKE.
    No.2 and No.5 each mounted one long 24-pounder and one 32-pounder carronade and carried a crew of 35 men each.
    Both lieutenants commanding the gunboats were severely wounded and several of the men.
    This was the fourth occasion that SHELDRAKE had been in action with gunboats and captured and destroyed five of them.
    The 1st. lieutenant, William LUCKRAFT was especially commended by Capt. STEWART.
    During October SHELDRAKE captured the French privateer L'AMIABLE D'HERVILLY off Meen Is. She was armed with four swivels and her crew escaped ashore.
  • Capt. STEWART was promoted to post rank on 1 February 1812 and moved to DICTATOR.
  • 1812 Henry LYFORD, Baltic.
  • 1814 George BRINE, Spithead.
    Following Napoleon's abdication vessels were despatched to frustrate any escape to America.
    SHELDRAKE was stationed near the mouth of the Loire with OPOSSUM further out to sea.

back  |  intro  |  home  |  contact

© 1995, 2007 Michael Phillips