A |  B |  C |  D |  E |  F |  G |  H |  I |  J |  K |  L |  M |  N |  O |  P |  Q |  R |  S |  T |  U |  V |  W |  X |  Y |  Z

Use quotes like in "Aboukir Bay" to search phrases.
Use * as a wildcard like in "Trafalg*".

SCORPION (18) Built in 1803, Dover (Cruizer class).
Sold in 1819.

  • 1804 George HARDINGE, Downs.

    On 25 March 1804 Edward THORNBOROUGH detached SCORPION to cruise off the Vlie Passage at the entrance to the Texel and watch two Dutch national brigs at anchor there.
    On 31 March SCORPION fell in with BEAVER, Capt. Charles PELLY, which was on her way to her station and they decided to join forces to cut out one of the brigs.
  • That night 5 boats with 60 officers and men including the two commanders, rowing with the flood tide, pulled alongside the nearest brig, ATALANTE, at about half past eleven.
    HARDINGE was the first on her deck through the boarding nets and the noise and speed of the attack drove many of the crew below in a panic.
  • The decks were slippery after rain and he fell as he tackled a mate of the watch but he recovered and killed him.
    He then engaged the captain who disarmed him and he was only saved by the intervention of Mr Woodward WILLIAMS, the master of SCORPION.
    The Dutch Capt. Carp refused to surrender and was killed.
    The remainder would not surrender until three seamen were killed and three officers and eight seamen wounded.
    All the casualties on the British side were from SCORPION; Lieut. Buckland BLUETT, the master, Woodward WILLIAMS, midshipman Edmund JONES and two seamen,J. WILKINSON (badly) and R. TUCKER, were wounded.
  • Forty of the enemy were put into irons below and preparations made to capture the other brig.
    At day break she was found to be too far off and the attempt had to be abandoned.
  • The ATALANTE's captain was buried with full naval honours on 2 May, the Dutch officers were freed for the occasion and the Dutch colours hoisted.
  • Two of the boats broke adrift and two more were swamped in a gale which lasted three days before they could bring ATALANTE out. She proved to be larger than SCORPION and mounted sixteen long 12-pounders and had 76 men on board.
  • HARDINGE was posted into the PROSELYTE and received a 100 guinea sword.
    BLUETT was made commander and received a 50 guinea sword.
    He was appointed to WASP.
    The naval medal was awarded for the action.
  • 1805 Phillip CARTERET, Channel.
    On 3 January 1807 SCORPION was chasing a cutter some 15 miles south of the Lizard when PICKLE came up and closed with the enemy.
    After an exchange of fire PICKLE's people boarded and captured her.
    SCORPION then arrived, took off 69 prisoners and landed them at Falmouth.
    Twelve miles south-west of Scilly he captured the French privateer brig BOUGAINVILLE on 17 February 1807. She had 16 guns and 93 men and was 23 days out of St. Malo.
  • 1807 Francis STANFELL.
    SCORPION was about 100 miles south of Cape Clear on 21 November 1807 disguised as a merchantman and, in the evening, succeeded in enticing the French privateer ketch GLANEUSE under her guns.
    By the time her commander, Joseph Guinian, realised his mistake he was within pistol-shot and it was too late.
    The privateer carried 16 guns and 80 men and was of new construction on her first cruise from St. Malo. She had taken two vessels, one being the ship ALFRED bound for Poole from Newfoundland.
    Information he obtained from the GLANEUSE enabled Capt. STANFELL to capture the privateer ketch GLANEUR commanded by Jaquel Fabre on 3 December after a chase of 12 hours. She had 10 guns and 60 men and was 6 days out of Brest having taken the brig HORATIO, master David Mill, from London to Mogadore and the Portuguese GLORIA, from Oporto to London.
    GLANEUR had had been preying on shipping for two years and had been repeatedly chased but always escaped through superior sailing.
  • 1808 Ditto, coast of Portugal.
  • 1809 Ditto, Leeward Is.
    At the end of 1809 she formed part of the squadron off Guadeloupe and on 25 September the boats of BLONDE, FACON and SCORPION were sent in pursuit of an enemy vessel making for Basse-Terre.
    On their approach she ran herself ashore in a bay between two batteries but, despite the crossfire from these and small arms fire from men on the beach, the boat parties landed, found it impossible to get her off, and left her bilged.
    The only casualties were Mr THOMPSON, master of BLONDE, who lost an arm, and one sailor of the same ship who died of wounds.
  • On the night of 11 January 1810 Capt. STANFELL was directed by Capt. BALLARD of BLONDE to attempt to cut out a French national brig from her anchorage off Basse-Terre.
    When he stood close in a square-rigged vessel was seen clearing the north point of the bay so he went off in pursuit.
    During the chase the wind fell to a near calm and SCORPION had to be swept for four hours but eventually she closed within pistol-shot and brought the French brig to an action which lasted for two hours before the enemy was completely dismasted.
  • Capt. STANFELL found himself in possession of the ORESTE of fourteen 24-pounders and two long 12s with a crew of 110 men. She was commanded by lieutenant de vaisseau Monnier and was bound for France with a lieutenant-colonel and two other army officers and the captains and other officers from two French frigates as passengers.
  • SCORPION had four men wounded during the action, the French losses were two killed and ten wounded.
    Lieuts. BLAKE and STRONG and the master, Mr SLATER were commended by the captain.
  • The prisoners were transferred to BLONDE's barge which arrived under Lieut. SCOTT, first of that ship.
    ORESTE was taken into the Royal Navy as WELLINGTON and medals were awarded for the survivors of the action in 1847.
  • SCORPION took part in the attack on Guadeloupe at the end of January 1810 when Capt. STANFELL and a detachment of seamen served ashore with the 2nd division of the army under Brigadier General HARCOURT.
    After the French capitulation on 6 February SCORPION then returned to England with Ad. COCHRANE's dispatches.
    Capt. STANFELL arrived at the Admiralty Office on 15 March.
  • 1811 Hon. J. GORE, 04/1810, Leeward Is.
    While sailing to the windward of the island of Martinique, SCORPION was struck by a heavy squall which was so violent that she lost some of her masts and had three seamen swept overboard.
    On seeing them struggling in the water Cdr. GORE jumped overboard and succeeded in rescuing two of them.
    The third was lost in the tremendous seas.
  • 1812

back  |  intro  |  home  |  contact

© 1995, 2007 Michael Phillips