A |  B |  C |  D |  E |  F |  G |  H |  I |  J |  K |  L |  M |  N |  O |  P |  Q |  R |  S |  T |  U |  V |  W |  X |  Y |  Z

Use quotes like in "Aboukir Bay" to search phrases.
Use * as a wildcard like in "Trafalg*".

SANS PAREIL (80) Launched by the French in June 1793.
Taken by Earl HOWE in the Atlantic at the Battle of First of June 1794.
Broken up in 1842.

  • Capt. Courand. She sailed in May 1794 with Rear Ad. Nielly's squadron to meet a corn convoy from America. They attacked and captured the CASTOR, Capt. Thomas TROUBRIDGE, and part of the convoy she was escorting from Guernsey to Newfoundland.
  • During the battle between the two fleets on the 1st. June Lord BRIDPORT's flagship, ROYAL GEORGE, broke through the French line just ahead of SANS PAREIL, bringing down her fore and mizzen masts. she then came under fire from GLORY and lost her main mast as well, drifting out of the line to be taken possession of by MAJESTIC. TROUBRIDGE and the 50 men from CASTOR, who were prisoners on board, assisted in bringing her into Spithead. SANS PAREIL's losses could have been as high as 260 killed and 120 wounded.
  • Capt. Lord Hugh SEYMOUR, 03/1795, promoted Rear Ad. on first anniversary of the battle). Capt. W. BROWELL, 08/1795. (with Rear Ad. Lord H. SEYMOUR's flag). Channel fleet. Took part in Lord BRIDPORT's action with the French fleet off Belleisle on 22 June, silencing both the FORMIDABLE and Le PEUPLE. SANS PAREIL lost ten killed and two wounded. After SEYMOUR was appointed to the Board of Admiralty in the autumn she cruised off the French coast, using her French build and flying the tricolour as a ruse to lure privateers within range. Sir Hugh retained her as his flagship and sailed on several summer cruises in her.
  • Capt. D. ATKINS, 01/1799. Capt. C. V. PENROSE, 08/1799. To the West Indies with, a convoy as Sir Hugh's flagship. The admiral died of fever on 11 September 1801 and Capt. PENROSE had to be invalided home suffering from sunstroke. Capt. ESSINGTON, with the flag of Ad. Richard MONTAGUE. Returned to Plymouth on 4 September 1802. After a refit lasting 18 months and costing 35,000 pounds she turned into a prison hulk for French prisoners of war.
  • Later a sheer hulk, she was broken up in April 1842.

back  |  intro  |  home  |  contact

© 1995, 2007 Michael Phillips