A |  B |  C |  D |  E |  F |  G |  H |  I |  J |  K |  L |  M |  N |  O |  P |  Q |  R |  S |  T |  U |  V |  W |  X |  Y |  Z

Use quotes like in "Aboukir Bay" to search phrases.
Use * as a wildcard like in "Trafalg*".

ROYAL GEORGE (100) Built in 1788, Chatham.
Broken up in 1822.

  • 1793 Capt. BURNETT with the flag of Vice Ad. Sir Alexander HOOD, the Channel fleet at Portsmouth.
  • 1794.
    On 2 May The Channel fleet under Lord HOWE weighed from St. Helens, as escort to the West Indies and Newfoundland convoys.
    They parted company off the Lizard on the 4th., six 64-gun ships and two frigates accompanying the merchant men to the latitude of Cape Finisterre, and the 26 sail of the line arrived off Ushant on 5th.
    Observing the French fleet safely in Brest he then cruised in the Bay of Biscay until the 19th. when he discovered that the French had sailed three days earlier and captured the British frigate CASTOR with part of a convoy from Newfoundland and the Lisbon convoy of 53 sail.
    After searching in all directions the French fleet of 26 sail of the line and 5 frigates was sighted to windward on the 28th.
    After some actions between individual ships the British fleet formed line ahead and the following morning ROYAL GEORGE was fifth in line.
    At a little after 10 AM
    she and the others exchanged broadsides with the French van.
    At 12.30 HOWE ordered the ships to tack in succession to pass through the enemy line but, due to the smoke, the signal was only partially obeyed.
    and the French managed to pull out their damaged ships.
    ROYAL GEORGE lost 15 killed including Lieut. George HEIGHAM and John HUGHES, midshipman, and 23 wounded.
    The following night and day were foggy and the ships became scattered but on 1 May, with improving weather, they formed in line abreast and ran down on the French some 4 miles away.
  • At 9.38 AM
    ROYAL GEORGE opened fire on the SAN PAREIL and the REPUBLICAIN and passed through the line between these two ships, engaging both. She and GLORY raked the REPUBLICAIN and forced her to retreat with her main and mizzen masts falling over the side. She lost 5 killed in the action and Lieut. Thomas IRELAND, John BAMBOROUGH, master, Thomas PIERCE, midshipman, and 45 seamen and marines wounded.
    ROYAL GEORGE lost her foremast and main and mizzen topmasts and her wheel was rendered useless.
  • 1795 Sir Alexander HOOD, now Admiral Lord BRIDPORT, sailed from Spithead on 12 June in ROYAL GEORGE in command of a fleet of 14 sail of the line to cover an operation by Sir John WARREN to land French Royalist troops on the Quiberon coast.
    On the 22nd the French fleet was sighted off Belle Isle, but when they showed no desire for battle, BRIDPORT ordered a general chase but late in the evening it fell calm.
    The morning of the 23rd. found his fleet scattered while the French were bunched together.
    The ROYAL GEORGE, after receiving the fire of the PEUPLE, bore up and fired a broadside into her, but by this time the fleet was close in with the land so BRIDPORT them to discontinue the chase and the French anchored within the Isle of Groix.
  • In 1796 the Channel fleet was divided into three divisions with BRIDPORT in ROYAL GEORGE remaining at Spithead.
  • In the spring of 1797 petitions from the line-of-battle ships at Portsmouth were ignored by Lord HOWE so the seamen on the ships agreed they would refuse to put to sea as long as their grievances went unanswered.
    On 15 April 1797 Lord BRIDPORT ordered the fleet to prepare for sea and immediately the crew of the QUEEN CHARLOTTE gave the signal for mutiny by cheering from the shrouds.
    This was followed by all the other ships.
    The following day two delegates were chosen from each ship.
    On the 18th. Earl SPENCER and a committee of the Board of Admiralty arrived in Portsmouth and on the 21st. Rear Ads.
    GARDNER and COLPOYS and Vice Ad. POLE met the delegates on board QUEEN CHARLOTTE.
    Here they were told that any agreement must be approved by King and Parliament and include a general pardon.
    When the delegates from the ROYAL GEORGE reported back to their ship a meeting of the leaders was summoned.
    Lord BRIDPORT, disgusted, struck his flag.
    After a personal apology he re-hoisted it the following day and announced that their grievances regarding pay, which had not increased since the reign of Charles II, and short weigh provisions had been redressed and that the King had issued a general pardon.
    After some haggling further concessions were agreed and the Admiralty regarded the mutiny as over.
    However it was not until the 14 May that Lord HOWE, after a further mutiny aboard LONDON, was able to give the seamen all the improvements they had asked for.
  • 1801 January, Capt. R. W. OTWAY with the flag of Ad. Sir Hyde PARKER.
    June, Capt. J. C. PURVIS as a private ship.
  • 1803 Out of commission at Plymouth.
  • 1807 Capt. Richard D. DUNN with the flag of Vice Ad. Sir John DUCKWORTH.
    In September 1806 the French demanded that the Turks should close the Dardanelles to Russian ships.
    COLLINGWOOD, off Cadiz, sent Rear Ad. LOUIS in CANOPUS with a small squadron to the Dardanelles where he arrived at the end of November.
    Following Admiralty instructions, a larger squadron under Sir John DUCKWORTH in ROYAL GEORGE sailed from off Cadiz on 15 January 1807 with orders to demand the surrender of the Turkish fleet or, if this was refused, to bombard Constantinople.
    DUCKWORTH was joined by other ships at Gibraltar on 17 January and Malta on the 30th. and arrived off Tenedos on 4 February.
    On the 19th. nine sail of the line passed the Dardanelles, coming under fire which killed 6 men and wounded 51.
    Sir Sydney SMITH destroyed a Turkish squadron and DUCKWORTH proceeded to within 8 miles of Constantinople where he frittered away the time making hollow threats and issuing proclamations which the Turks ignored.
    On 3 March he retreated back through the strait, saluting the Castle at Abydos with 13 blank cartridges.
    The Turks replied with marble shot and iron shells, damaging most of the ships.
    ROYAL GEORGE had a large stone shot jammed in her cutwater, lost some rigging, and had 3 men killed and 27 wounded.
  • 1811 Capt. KING with the flag of Rear Ad. Sir T. WILLIAMS, Basque Roads.
  • 1814 Capt. T. F.C.
    Mainwaring, Mediterranean.
  • 1815 Out of commission at Plymouth. Broken up in February 1822.

back  |  intro  |  home  |  contact

© 1995, 2007 Michael Phillips