A |  B |  C |  D |  E |  F |  G |  H |  I |  J |  K |  L |  M |  N |  O |  P |  Q |  R |  S |  T |  U |  V |  W |  X |  Y |  Z

Use quotes like in "Aboukir Bay" to search phrases.
Use * as a wildcard like in "Trafalg*".

RENARD (18) A French privateer taken in 1797.
Sold in 1805.

  • 1801 J. A. WORTH, Channel.
  • 1802 Capt. SPICER.
    On 12 January she arrived in Portsmouth from Plymouth and sailed on the return passage on 7 March. She was back in Portsmouth on the 29th.
    On 20 April she took discharged seamen to Plymouth.
    On 13 May orders came down to Plymouth for RENARD to get ready to carry dispatches to Jamaica and the Leeward Is.
    Capt. GREGORY was appointed to her when Capt. SPICER was made Post Captain. She sailed with a fine wind at 8 o'clock on the evening of the 24th. as soon as the messenger arrived with dispatches after a 36 hour journey from London. She carried out several new commanders to ships in the West Indies.
    Shortly after RENARD returned from the West Indies a court martial was held on 8 October in Plymouth on Mr MITCHELL, her purser, for disobedience of orders from Lieut. SOUTHCOTE.
    He was adjudged to be dismissed his ship.
  • RENARD was paid off and re-commissioned by the Hon. Capt. CATHCART and she sailed for Cork on 21 November to get seamen.
  • On 16 December 1803 RENARD was ordered to take the Jamaica ships under her charge and she and COURAGEUX (74).
    were due to sail with them in the course of the week, but on the 23rd., a telegraph message from London announced that French troops had embarked along the coast.
    Because of the invasion threat COURAGEUX, FISGARD and the sloops RENARD, SPEEDY and BERLIN, were sent down to St. Helen's to reinforce the ships there.
    Meanwhile the West Indies ships remained at Spithead until RENARD returned and they sailed on 2 January 1804 They were joined by at least 40 sail from the Downs making about 150 in all.
  • COURAGEUX, with Rear-Ad. DACRES, turned up in Plymouth on 1 February with 45 of the convoy.
    They had had dreadful gales since leaving England and the signal to bear away had been made off Cape Ortegal in N. W. Spain when it was found impossible to proceed.
    On the 4th. two troop transports from the convoy arrived in Plymouth with their boats stove in.
    COURAGEAUX had damaged her rudder and was leaking so Ad. DACRES shifted to the FRANCHISE and sailed with the convoy on the 15th.
    The rest of the convoy had born away to Cork from whence they sailed for the West Indies when the gales abated.

back  |  intro  |  home  |  contact

© 1995, 2007 Michael Phillips