A |  B |  C |  D |  E |  F |  G |  H |  I |  J |  K |  L |  M |  N |  O |  P |  Q |  R |  S |  T |  U |  V |  W |  X |  Y |  Z

Use quotes like in "Aboukir Bay" to search phrases.
Use * as a wildcard like in "Trafalg*".

RAVEN Built in 1805, Brightlingsea.
Sold in 1816.

  • 1805 fitting out at Chatham.
  • 1806 James GRANT, convoy to Lisbon in October.
  • 1808 Downs.
    In January 1808 a court martial was held on John BROWN, seaman, who was charged with the murder of R. NELSON by kicking him violently in the belly whilst skylarking.
    He was acquitted of murder but was sentenced to 200 lashes around the fleet as an admonition against skylarking.
  • In the summer of 1808 RAVEN, Capt. J. M. HANCHET, took part in the expedition against Flushing.
    On 5 August the boats of the squadron under Lieut. STRAHAN of CLYDE pursued the enemy fleet up the Scheldt towards Antwerp.
    Capt. HANCHET entered the river to cover them and drew the fire of the batteries during the four hours RAVEN was beating down grape from Flushing and round shot from Cadsand Is.
    and brought the boats out safely.
    RAVEN was badly damaged in the hull, masts and rigging and two of her guns were dismounted.
    Capt. HANCHET and eight others were wounded, the captain severely.
    He commended the conduct of Lieuts. WILLS and HALL; Mr Robert DUNLOP, the acting master; Mr W. PRESTON, surgeon and Mr COWLEY, the purser who saw to the signals and was on the poop the whole time.
  • 1811 G. G. LENNOCK, Downs Heligoland where she joined a squadron (QUEBEC, ALERT, RAVEN, REDBREAST, EXERTION and PRINCESS AUGUSTA) under Capt. HAWTAYNE in QUEBEC.
    Boats from the squadron under lieut.
    Samuel BLYTH carried out an attack on four Dutch gunboats near the island of Nordeney on 3 August 1811.
    The British boats had already captured a custom's boat and sent her to Heligoland and were towing out a merchantman when the enemy was sighted.
    The Dutch opened up with grape and canister as soon as the boats came within pistol range but they pushed through to immediately board and carry one of the vessels.
    The others enemy vessels fought bravely until they were at last forced to surrender.
  • The British losses were four killed and fourteen wounded, the enemy lost two killed and twelve wounded.
    RAVEN lost one man killed, Henry SOUTH, carpenter's mate.
    Lieut. Samuel SLOUT; Midshipman Richard MILLET; Charles FURZEY, boatswain's mate; Charles FENNER, gunner's mate; John BAILY, 1st. class volunteer, William Wheatly, private marine; Samuel RAYNARD, ordinary seaman, and Dennis MAHANY, landman, were wounded, most very severely.
  • The captured Dutch gunboats were No's 22, 28, 31 and 74, each armed with one long 12-pounder and two guns of either 6 or 8 pounds.
    They carried 25 men apiece.
  • When RAVEN was in the Wielingen Channel leading to the West Scheldt on the afternoon of 3 July 1812 Capt. LENNOCK observed a flotilla of 14 brigs to leeward.
    The weather was too hazy for him to contact Admiral YOUNG who was off Westkappelle in IMPREGNABLE so, realising that the moment would be lost if he stood back, he sailed with them as far as Wulpen firing when the opportunity arose.
    Three of the brigs were were driven on to the lee shore where they lay with the sea breaking over them, they were still there the following morning so he assumed that they were bilged.
    RAVEN suffered small damage from one shot.
    Lieut. BERRIFF was commended for his part in the action.
  • 1814 Edward LLOYD, 21/01/1814. She was stationed at Woopherkdyk to blockade the enemy fleet at Ter Vire during Admiral William Young's operations in the East Scheldt.
  • RAVEN then convoyed dispatches to Halifax and during the voyage LLOYD was forced to throw half his guns overboard to survive a hurricane.
    After a refit she was ordered to join the fleet assembling in the West Indies for the attack on New Orleans but she was detained at Barbados and sent to Trinidad for trade protection. She paid off at Woolwich in September 1815 having had no cases of yellow fever during the commission and was laid up at Deptford. She was sold at an auction at the Navy Office in Somerset Place on Wednesday 18 September 1816. She was put up at 1,000 pounds and then reductions were made until bidding started and she was finally sold at 740 pounds.

back  |  intro  |  home  |  contact

© 1995, 2007 Michael Phillips