A |  B |  C |  D |  E |  F |  G |  H |  I |  J |  K |  L |  M |  N |  O |  P |  Q |  R |  S |  T |  U |  V |  W |  X |  Y |  Z

Use quotes like in "Aboukir Bay" to search phrases.
Use * as a wildcard like in "Trafalg*".

PICKLE Schooner Built in 1800, Plymouth, as STING.
Renamed in 1802.
Wrecked in 1808.

  • 1802 Lieut. PELLETIER, Plymouth.
    First used as a dispatch vessel she sailed to Malta in October 1802 returning the 16 February following. She had left the island six weeks previously and touched at Gibraltar for water, making the voyage in 14 days.
    After waiting on Admiral DACRES Lieut. PELLETIER took a post-chaise and four and set off for the Admiralty while PICKLE was put into quarantine in Coney Cove, Stonehouse Pool.
  • 1803 Lieut. John LAPENOTIERE, Channel.
    PICKLE sailed from Plymouth on the 15 October 1803 to cruise in the Channel and on the 22nd she took the American vessel RESOLUTION. She sailed from Plymouth again on 28 December and returned on 31 January 1804 having lost her main-topmast and fore-yard in a gale on the 19th. She sailed on 22 February 1804 for Admiral CORNWALLIS with dispatches and on 25 March she assisted in the rescue of the crew of MAGNIFICENT (74) which had been wrecked on an uncharted rock near Pierres Noires, Brest.
    The boats of PICKLE and FOX were alongside soon after she struck and took out her people just before she turned over and went down.
    COLOSSUS brought them back to Plymouth.
  • On 26 July 1804, a signal having been made aboard the flag ship in the Hamoaze, a seaman from PICKLE attended by the boats of the fleet, manned and armed was flogged around the fleet in the Hamoaze and the Sound for mutiny.
    A seaman from DORIS was flogged at the same time for maiming a shipmate with intent to kill him.
  • In October the same year she captured two French coasters loaded with supplies for the fleet at Brest and brought them into Plymouth.
    PICKLE left Ferrol on Thursday 3 January 1805 with important dispatches from Rear-Ad. COCHRANE and arrived in Plymouth on the Saturday after a passage of only 49 hours.
    The 98-gun NEPTUNE arrived the same day after taking ten days over the same passage, but she had been delayed by earlier gales.
  • In October 1805 PICKLE was attached to the Weather Division of the fleet under Vice Adm.
    of the White Lord NELSON and was a spectator of the Battle of Trafalgar.
    With ENTREPRENENTE and the boats of PRINCE GEORGE and SWIFTSURE she helped in the rescue of two women and about 200 men from the French ACHILLE which caught fire and exploded during the battle.
    Two or three seamen in the other boats were killed by the French guns going off as they became heated.
    One of the women was floating on an oar completely naked; she was brought on board the schooner wearing a pair of seaman's trousers and recounted the number of men she had had to fight off when they tried to take her oar.
    The prisoners in PICKLE, three times the number of the crew, were heard plotting to take over the ship and carry her into Cadiz so a particularly sharp watch was kept over them.
  • PICKLE brought home to Plymouth Lord COLLINGWOOD's dispatches in fourteen days and two days later LAPENOTIERE delivered them to the Admiralty and was immediately promoted commander on 6 November.
    The Committee of the Patriotic Fund presented him with a sword valued at 100 guineas.
  • 1806 Lieut. Moses CANNADEY, Channel.
    On 3 January 1807, while some 15 miles off the Lizard, PICKLE engaged and boarded a French privateer cutter FAVORITE (14) which was being chased by SCORPION. She was commanded by E. J. Boutruche and out of her crew of 70 men one was killed and two wounded.
    Only two months old she had left Cherbourg two days before.
    SCORPION came up and took off the prisoners and landed them at Falmouth.
    In PICKLE George ALVEY, acting master, and one seaman were severely wounded, and Sub-Lieut, Charles HAWKINS, slightly wounded, during the boarding.
    The naval medal was awarded for this action.
  • PICKLE was wrecked on the Chipiona shoal at the entrance to Cadiz on 27 July 1808 as she was entering carrying dispatches.
    CANNADEY and his crew were saved.

back  |  intro  |  home  |  contact

© 1995, 2007 Michael Phillips