A |  B |  C |  D |  E |  F |  G |  H |  I |  J |  K |  L |  M |  N |  O |  P |  Q |  R |  S |  T |  U |  V |  W |  X |  Y |  Z

Use quotes like in "Aboukir Bay" to search phrases.
Use * as a wildcard like in "Trafalg*".

MARLBOROUGH (74) 3rd rate Built in 1767, Deptford.
Wrecked in 1800.

  • 1776 Capt. Samuel HOOD. A dreadful accident happened on 5th. July on board the MARLBOROUGH as she clearing for dock in Portsmouth. Some gunpowder which had been carelessly left in the magazine, took fire. The fore part of the ship was on fire fur some time, several beams were broken, and in many places the decks were torn up by the explosion. Twelve seamen, three women and three children were killed, and more than 50 people were wounded. The Gunner was tried by a court martial and sentenced to be dismissed the service.
  • 1778 Capt. Taylor PENNY, he was first appointed to the BARFLEUR, but she was found to be in need of a thorough repair he removed to the MARLBOROUGH in which he continued to serve during the whole of the war. He was employed on the home station and in 1780 he accompanied Sir George RODNEY to Gibraltar and was present at defeat of LANGARA's squadron.
  • 1780 Capt. Taylor PENNY, with Capt. ONSLOW in BELLONA (74) forced the Dutch PRINSES CAROLINA (54) to srike in the Channel after 30 minutes action. She was taken into the Royal Navy as PRINCESS CAROLINE.
  • At the end of 1781 the MARLBOROUGH was one of the ships sent to the West Indies with Sir George RODNEY.
  • MARLBOROUGH, under the command of Capt. George BERKELEY, took part in the battle of the Glorious First of June 1794.
  • In April 1797 the crews of the ships at Spithead, including that of MARLBOROUGH, mutinied, and eventually their quite legitimate grievences were conceded by the Navy Commissioners and a pardon PROclaimed on 22 April. The affair rumbled on on until 9 May when Lord HOWE's popularity and a new PROclamation restored discipline and the fleet sailed on the 16th.
  • 1797 Capt. J. EATON, cruising in August.
  • 1799 Capt. Thomas SOTHEBY, Lisbon station. She returned to Plymouth on 4 January 1800 from Ad. Sir A. GARDNER's squadron after beating up the Channel for ten days against strong easterly winds and went into dock for repairs on 10 February. She sailed to rejoin the Channel fleet on 20 April in company with MAGNIFICENT.
  • On Tuesday 10 June MARLBOROUGH and CENTAUR ran foul of each other off the Black Rock. The former sprung her fore-mast and CENTAUR lost her bowsprit. They arrived in Plymouth for repairs on the 15th and MARLBOROUGH sailed to return to the fleet off Brest on 13 July. While off the Black Rocks with CAESAR, EXCELLENT, ELEPHANT and DEFENCE, she took posession of a small island about two miles off the coast where there was plenty of game, rabbits and pigeons. The whole fleet, including MARLBOROUGH, took shelter in Cawsand Bay on 27 September when they were driven off station by gale force winds from the south-west.
  • MARLBOROUGH arrived in Plymouth on 3 October. While cruising off Belle-Ile with MONTAGUE at the end of the month she captured a French brig laden with butter, tallow and hides going in to le Palais.
  • On 4 November 1800 MARLBOROUGH struck a sunken rock near Belle-Ile (the Bervadeux Shoal) and hung there for several hours. By throwing several of her guns overboard she was got off clear of the reef but she was found to be so damaged that the masts had to be cut down and the rest of the guns jettisoned before she was brough to anchor.
    On the following day she was found to be making water fast and a signal was made to CAPTAIN which had been in company and was standing by her. Capt. Sir R. J. STRACHAN came alongside and took off the oficers and crew by which time the ship was in a sinking state. All her people were saved. A Lieutenant and nineteen seamen were taken to Plymouth on board the Danish brig AMITY, Capt. Holsen, which had been detained by CAPTAIN.
    Those remaining on board CAPTAIN took part in an attack on a French convoy off the Morbihan on 17 November when Lieut. CLARK and seamen from MARLBOROUGH served in the boats.
    A court martial held in Portsmouth on 2 January 1801 decided that neither Capt. SOTHERBY nor his officers and crew could be blamed for the loss.

back  |  intro  |  home  |  contact

© 1995, 2007 Michael Phillips