A |  B |  C |  D |  E |  F |  G |  H |  I |  J |  K |  L |  M |  N |  O |  P |  Q |  R |  S |  T |  U |  V |  W |  X |  Y |  Z

Use quotes like in "Aboukir Bay" to search phrases.
Use * as a wildcard like in "Trafalg*".

MANLY (12) Gun-brig Built in 1812, Sandwich.
Sold in 1833.

  • 1812 Edward COLLIER, 09/1812, Scheldt, convoy escort to Newfoundland and cruising on the North American station.
    On 13 November 1813 MANLEY was driven on shore at Halifax during a gale from the S. S.W. She was so high and dry that it took 3 weeks work to get her back in the water.
  • Capt. COLLIER and his crew volunteered, with men from FANTOME and THISTLE, to reinforce the squadron on the Great Lakes.
    Seventy of them sailed from Halifax to St. John's, New Brunswick, in FANTOME on 22 January 1814.
    They made the passage in four days, the brig being a mass of ice as the sea froze as it broke over them.
    Capt. COLLIER's division of 70 men left St. John's first at 9 o'clock on the morning of 29 January and, pulling sleighs, made for Frederickston some 80 miles away.
    The second division under Lieut. RUSSEL of THISTLE followed in the afternoon and the third division under Lieut. John KENT of FANTOME left the next day.
  • The seamen were lodged in barracks at Frederickston but, having their pockets lined with prize money, (many petty officers had more than 300 pounds they soon got out into the town to take the last opportunity to enjoy themselves.
    When they were rounded up they were formed into two divisions and continued the journey along the frozen St. John's river.
    On the third night the master of THISTLE died from the extreme cold.
    Eighty-two miles further on they reached Presque Isle on 7 February and here exchanged the sleighs for toboggans, one between every four men, and everyone was fitted out with snow-shoes and moccasins.
    They left the following day and made between 15 to 22 miles a day through snow up to their knees.
    At times a gale from the northward caused the snow to form deep drifts.
    On the 18th. they had to pass through United States territory to reach the St. Lawrence on the 20th.
    They reached Quebec on the 28th. and crossed over in canoes the next day to find shelter on board the AEOLUS frigate and the INDIAN sloop, frozen up in Wolfe's Cove.
    Kingston was reached on 22 March.
  • 1814 Vincent NEWTON, 05/1814, Jamaica.
    In August 1814 she joined Capt. GORDON of SEAHORSE and his small squadron in an expedition up the Potomac to bombard Fort Washington while Vice-Ad. COCHRANE landed the army at Benedict on the Patuxent on the 19th. and 20th.
    Rear-Ad. COCKBURN entered the capital with the marines and seamen on the night of the 24th. where they burnt the White House, the Treasury and the War Office.
    They left at 9 o'clock on the evening of the 25th. and returned to Nottingham on the Patuxent where the Rear-Ad. found MANLEY and hoisted his flag in her.
  • Following the peace, MANLEY landed Mr WILLIAMSON of ALBION, the purveyor of the squadron, at Savannah in April to buy provisions and found that trade had reverted to normal.
    MANLEY later sailed from Wilmington to Bermuda and then back home.
  • 1816-26 Portsmouth.
  • 1827 Lieut. William FIELD, 02/1827, Halifax.
  • 1830 Lieut. Henry BISHOP, 06/1828, Halifax.
    June 1831 Portsmouth.

back  |  intro  |  home  |  contact

© 1995, 2007 Michael Phillips