A |  B |  C |  D |  E |  F |  G |  H |  I |  J |  K |  L |  M |  N |  O |  P |  Q |  R |  S |  T |  U |  V |  W |  X |  Y |  Z

Use quotes like in "Aboukir Bay" to search phrases.
Use * as a wildcard like in "Trafalg*".

LOCUST (14) Gun-brig Built in 1801, Rotherhithe.
Sold in 1814.

  • 1801 North Sea and Downs station. She arrived at Portsmouth on 22 April 1802 with discharged seamen from Chatham.
    While LOCUST was in Portsmouth Harbour on the night of the 13 September 1802 two marine sentries, John SCRIVEN and George BLANCHARD, stole a watch and some clothing from Andrew HANLIN, a seaman on board, and deserted ashore in a cutter.
    They were soon picked up and SCRIVEN, the leader, was sentenced to 500 lashes.
    BLANCHARD received 200.
  • 1803 Lieut. John LAKE, Portsmouth.
    On 14 January she sailed for Ireland to raise seamen.
    Later cruising in the Channel.
    On 25 March 1804 a gale blew up from the south-west LOCUST and MINX found themselves on a lee shore off the French coast so they stood over to take shelter in the Downs.
    They returned to their stations on the 28th.
    LOCUST was blown back into the Downs again on 5 April.
  • On 8 December 1804 LOCUST covered an attack by the SUSANNAH, an explosion vessel, commanded by Lieut. STEWART of MONARCH, on a pile fort, Fort Rouge, off Calais.
    At the same time Capt. BROWNRIGG of DART, and Lieut. BARTHOLEMEW of ANTELOPE, made an unsuccessful attempt to place two carcasses (a 'torpedo' consisting of a barrel of gunpowder with a clockwork firing mechanism) against the fort.
    LOCUST kept close in to draw the fire from the shore.
  • On Friday 8 March 1805 LOCUST was ordered by Capt. OWEN of IMMORTALITE to run in under the Ambleteuse batteries to engage a number of small French vessels.
    Lieut. LAKE was in the act of lowering his jolly boat to take possession of an enemy cutter which had struck when LOCUST was hit by a 42 lb shot which sent the foremast overboard.
    The Frenchman re-hoisted his colours and made for the shore.
    LOCUST was towed into Deal by PINCHER, almost a complete wreck, and was then sent round to Sheerness for repair.
    LOCUST suffered no casualties although she was subject to the fire of eleven batteries and a number of field pieces at pistol-shot range.
  • She was back in service in April.
    On the 24th. she was with a squadron under Capt. HONEYMAN in LEDA which attacked twenty-six enemy vessels which were sighted coming round Cap Gris Nez.
    After two hours the flotilla succeeded in cutting out seven armed schuyts which were bound for Ambleteuse from Dunkirk with soldiers.
  • 1808-11 Lieut. John GEDGE, North Sea.
    On 10 November 1811 LOCUST, close inshore, stood towards a division of the enemy flotilla off Cap Griznez, while SKYLARK approached from the seaward.
    One of the French brigs, No.
    26, of four long 24-pounders and 60 men was cut out from under the fire of the batteries and musketry on the beach.
    The French commodore was driven ashore but a great number of troops got on board so any attack was impossible.
    Lieut. GEDGE had previously captured a French national vessel with two long 12-pounders near to Dunkirk.
    As a commander he was appointed to CADMUS in 1815.
  • 1811 Lieut. Robert FAIR, 11/1811, cruising in Channel.
    In December 1811 LOCUST drove a French national brig ashore near Calais where it was beaten to pieces by the sea.
    LOCUST paid off in July 1814.

back  |  intro  |  home  |  contact

© 1995, 2007 Michael Phillips