A |  B |  C |  D |  E |  F |  G |  H |  I |  J |  K |  L |  M |  N |  O |  P |  Q |  R |  S |  T |  U |  V |  W |  X |  Y |  Z

Use quotes like in "Aboukir Bay" to search phrases.
Use * as a wildcard like in "Trafalg*".

LARNE (20) Built in 1814, Lynn.
Sold in 1828.

  • 1815 Capt. Abraham LOWE.
    Cruising off the Western Is.
    in company with CHATHAM and BOMBAY in the early part of the year.
    He re-commissioned her in August 1815 and paid off in January 1819.
  • 1820-22 Robert TAIT, 12/1819, Mediterranean.
  • 1823, Frederick MARRYATT, 03/1823, commissioned at Portsmouth on 1 April for the E. Indies.
    In May 1824 LARNE joined the fleet assembling at Port Cornwallis in the Andaman Is.
    for the expedition to Burma.
    After the occupation of a deserted Rangoon on 11 May the naval part of the campaign was conducted by small forces in boats under the command of Lieut. Thomas FRASER and Lieut. William DOBSON of LARNE supporting the army along the rivers.
    On 14 May DOBSON assisted Capt. Ross of the Indian Army in capturing Dalla and on the following four days the boats of LARNE placed fire booms across the river.
    They attacked a four gun battery on the 19th. which was found to be deserted but the following day they captured eight large vessels.
    Illness was rife, DOBSON was taken very ill after being continually wet through and had to be sent to Rangoon to recover.
  • On 11 July MARRYATT reported that when he sent FRASER to to attack a Burmese stockade on 7 July he could muster only three officers and 12 men fit for duty.
    On 2 Sept MARRYATT launched an attack on stockades in Dalla creek using gun boats and two mortar boats to cover a landing by 150 troops but by the end of the month the scurvy was making rapid progress so MARRYATT sailed for Penang with only 27 of his original crew on board for recuperation.
    He left DOBSON and 16 men in charge of SATELLITE.
  • He returned to Burma from Calcutta on 24 December and on 17 January 1825 LARNE sailed from Rangoon with a transport carrying 780 troops for an attack on Bassein on the western branch of the Irrawaddy.
    On the 25th. LARNE's boats were sent in to reconnoitre the mouth of the river and on the following day LARNE and the H. E.I. C. MERCURY took up positions within 100 yards of the shore and opened a bombardment to cover the landing of the troops.
    On the 27th. the expedition reached a point some 35 miles from the sea.
    From here they had to tow and warp until, on the evening of 3 March, they anchored 3 miles below Bassein which was found to be burning and deserted.
    On 26 March LARNE dropped down river to Naputtah which had asked for British protection.
    In the following few days LARNE's seamen and marines, assisted by the villagers, brought about the submission of the enemy forces in the area.
  • In 1824 MARRYATT was appointed to command TEES and John KINGCOME, a lieutenant in TEES took over LARNE as an acting commander.
    Unfortunately TEES was in New South Wales so he was unable to join her until 15 April 1825.
    He left Burma on 8 May.
    LARNE visited Penang, Malacca, Singapore, Sydney (NSW), Van Diemen's Land, New Zealand and Norfolk Is.
    While at Sidney LARNE was sunk in the act of heaving down and had her main mast struck by lightning.
    At Norfolk Is.
    Cdr. KINGCOME and his 1st. lieutenant, William Burdett DOBSON, were swamped in the cutter when they attempted to land on 2 March 1826
  • When she reached Madras on 13 July 1826 William DOBSON took command, his promotion and his commission to do so were dated 25 July 1825 but at the time LARNE had been in Australian waters while he had been in Burma.Lieut. KINGCOME had to wait until January 1828 for his promotion.
    LARNE returned to Chatham for disposal in 1827.

back  |  intro  |  home  |  contact

© 1995, 2007 Michael Phillips