A |  B |  C |  D |  E |  F |  G |  H |  I |  J |  K |  L |  M |  N |  O |  P |  Q |  R |  S |  T |  U |  V |  W |  X |  Y |  Z

Use quotes like in "Aboukir Bay" to search phrases.
Use * as a wildcard like in "Trafalg*".

GRIFFON (16) A French brig taken by BACCHANTE (20) Capt. Samuel INGLEFIELD off Cape Antonio on 11 May 1808.
Sold in 1819.

  • Lieut. H. S. JONES, 08/1808.
  • 1811 John TANCOCK, Chatham, from the end of the year until he received his post commission in February 1812.
  • 1812 1814 George TROLLOPE, 02/1812, Downs.
    ROSARIO attacked a French flotilla of 12 brigs and a lugger standing along the shore off Dieppe on the 27 March 1812.
    Finding their force too great for him Capt. HARVEY made for GRIFFON which was in the offing and made signal for the enemy.
    ROSARIO returned to the attack and caused two of the enemy to run on board each other, drove another on shore and boarded a third.
    GRIFFON then arrived and drove another brig on shore near St. Aubin.
    Capt. TROLLOPE ran inshore of another brig and boarded her.
    The enemy flotilla was the 14th., which had sailed from Boulogne intending to go to Cherbourg.
    Each brig had three long brass 24-pounders and an 8 inch brass howitzer, with a complement of of 50 men.
  • During a temporary absence of Capt. TROLLOPE on 20 October 1812 a sergeant of marines threatened to beat the carpenter, who lodged a complaint with Lieut. Richard Stewart GAMAGE, the senior officer on board.
    He ordered the offender to walk the quarter deck with a shouldered musket (to have followed strict service procedure would have resulted in a court martial and a flogging) but the sergeant refused to obey.
    Lieut. GAMAGE ran below for his sword to intimidate the man then struck the musket from the sergeant's hands and ordered him to walk about.
    He sheathed his sword, but when the sergeant swore, drew it again and made a thrust in his direction.
    To his horror it entered the body and the sergeant fell dead on the deck.
    Lieut. GAMAGE was tried for murder before a court martial on 27 October.
    he was found guilty but the court regarded him as a fit object of royal clemency.
    A letter was sent from the whole crew of GRIFFON praying for a pardon and the case was appealed to the law officers of the crown, but without effect.
  • The execution was carried out on board GRIFFON on Monday 23 November, in the presence of two boats, armed and manned, from each ship in the Downs.
    The Commander in Chief, Ad. YOUNG described it as a dreadful lesson.
    How a humane, compassionate man, a kind and indulgent officer, committed the dreadful crime of murder through not keeping guard over his passion.
  • On 29 December reports appeared in the public press that GRIFFON's crew had mutinied and carried the vessel into Boulogne.
    That this rumour was without foundation was proved by the following letter.
  •  Sir, HMS. 
    Griffon, Dungerness, Jan.6th. 1813 A report of a most disagreeable nature have been circulated much to our disadvantage, in representing us as having taken HMS.
    Griffon from our officers, and carried her into Boulogne.
    We, the petty officers, seamen and marines, of the said sloop, most humbly beg leave to represent, that far from having any cause of discontent either with our captain or officers, we feel obliged to them for their lenity during the present short handed state of the vessel; and hope it will please the commander in chief, or the Lords of the Admiralty, to prosecute the author of so scandalous and malicious a report, tending so greatly to our prejudice, and that of the service.
    We remain, honoured Sir, Your most obedient humble servants, signed by the whole SHIP'S COMPANY To George Trollope, Esq.
    Captain of HMS.
  • Capt. TROLLOPE continued to command GRIFFON until he was promoted to post rank in June 1814.
  • 1815 George HEWSON, 06/1814, Channel.
    James Arthur MURRAY, 05/1816, until he was posted into SPEY on 15 November.
    Lieut. William Elliot WRIGHT was appointed acting commander of GRIFFON at St. Helena on 20 September 1816.
    On return from that station in 1817 he was tried by court martial for having smuggled 53 yards of crape and various other contraband articles while GRIFFON was at Portsmouth.
    Although the president, Sir Michael SEYMOUR, under whom he had served in HANNIBAL, gave him a most excellent and honourable character, the court was bound by the evidence and the articles of war to dismiss him from the service. He was restored in 1819.

back  |  intro  |  home  |  contact

© 1995, 2007 Michael Phillips