A |  B |  C |  D |  E |  F |  G |  H |  I |  J |  K |  L |  M |  N |  O |  P |  Q |  R |  S |  T |  U |  V |  W |  X |  Y |  Z

Use quotes like in "Aboukir Bay" to search phrases.
Use * as a wildcard like in "Trafalg*".

GREYHOUND (32) Built in 1783, Mistlythorn.
Wrecked in 1808.

  • 1794 Capt. BAYLEY.
  • 1796 Capt. YOUNG.
  • 1797 Capt. Israel PELLEW.
  • 1798 Capt. LEE.
  • 1799 Capt. HARDY, Jamaica.
  • 1800 Capt. CRAWLEY, Jamaica.
    Capt. OGLE, Plymouth. She sailed with a convoy for the Mediterranean on 5 September 1800.
  • 1804 Capt. Charles ELPHINSTONE, Portsmouth, cruising in the Channel.
    After an 11 hour chase on 18 January 1805 GREYHOUND captured the French privateer lugger VIMEREUX (15), Jan Pollet, with 69 men on board. She had sailed from her home port of St. Vallery en Caux the previous day.
    A previous attempt had been made on the privateer by the boats of the RATTLER sloop and the FOLKSTONE lugger on 5 January in which Mr DALYELL, acting lieutenant of RATTLER and Mr DONALDSON, acting commander of the lugger had been badly wounded.
    Capt. ELPHINSTONE was able to report that they were still alive and likely to recover.
  • 1805 East Indies.
    Percy GRACE, master's mate, was put in charge of a large recaptured ship in December 1805 and took her in to Calcutta.
    GREYHOUND and HARRIER, Capt. Edward TROUBRIDGE, destroyed a Dutch Company's brig CHRISTIAN ELIZABETH under the fort of Manado on 4 July 1806. She was armed with 8 guns and had a complement of 80 men.
    They then stood across to the Molucca sea to the Island of Tidore and two days later they captured another of the Dutch cruisers, the BELGICA of of 12 guns and 32 men.
  • On the evening of 25 July four ships were seen passing through the Straits of Salayer and later they were discovered lying to between Bouthian and Boolo-Combo about seven miles from the shore.
    One appeared to be a frigate but, since another could have been a line-of battle ship, they decided to wait until morning.
    At daylight she was seen to be only a large two-decker, resembling an English Indiaman.
    The Dutch formed line of battle with the frigate in the van but leaving a gap between her and an armed ship astern.
    At the suggestion of GREYHOUND's master, Mr MARTIN, the two English ships bore up flying French colours until within hail when they both opened fire, HARRIER slipping between the two leading enemy ships and raking both of them.
    Both the armed ship and the two-decker astern of her bore up leaving the frigate isolated.
    Capt. ELPHINSTONE wore close round the enemy's bow, raking her, then, with the fire directed by Lieuts. ANDOE and WHITEHEAD, gave her broadsides for forty minutes until she struck and Lieut. Purvis HOME took possession of her.
    When GREYHOUND transferred her fire to the vessels astern they all struck except for the corvette at the end of the line which made off towards the shore. She could not be pursued because of the disabled state of the British ships.
  • The frigate was the PALLAS of 36 guns commanded by Capt. Aalbers, who was mortally wounded; The VICTORIA of about 800 tons and the BATAVIA of 500 tons.
    The ship which escaped was the WILLIAM, mounting twenty 24-pounders and manned by 110 men.
    The enemy lost 12 killed and 39 wounded, eight mortally.
    GREYHOUND had one man killed and nine wounded, including James WOOD, Boatswain; George MAJORIBANKS, Master's Mate, and John BRADFORD, Clerk.
  • GREYHOUND and HARRIER arrived back at Port Cornwallis on 19 August 1806.
  • 1807 Capt. Edward Thomas TROUBRIDGE, East Indies.
  • Vice Ad. Sir Thomas TROUBRIDGE, the commander in chief and father of the new captain of GREYHOUND, sailed from Pulo Penang to Madras where his flagship, BLENHEIM, was found to be unfit for sea, the pumps could barely cope while she was at anchor.
    Nevertheless, and in spite of protests by Capt. Austin BISSELL, he insisted in sailing in her to the Cape of Good Hope. She sailed with JAVA and HARRIER on 12 January 1807 with Capt. Charles ELPHINSTONE among the passengers, and she and JAVA were last seen by the sloop in a gale off Rodrigues on 5 February.
  • The new commander in chief, Sir Edward PELLEW, dispatched GREYHOUND in search of the two missing ships.
    At Mauritius, under flag of truce, the French told them of a line-of-battle ship seen making signals on 7 February and they heard reports of two ships in Madagascar but no trace was found of BLENHEIM and JAVA.
    In September GREYHOUND re-fitted at the Cape to return to India.
  • 1808 Capt. Hon. William PACKENHAM.
    GREYHOUND was wrecked when she ran on the coast of Luconia in the Philippines on 11 October 1808.
    Capt. PACKENHAM and part of his officers and crew were returning to Prince of Wales Is.
    on parole, after spending three months captivity in Manilla, when they were again detained by two French frigates, and taken to Batavia.
    The captain was soon allowed to depart, but the others, under Lieut. GRACE were held near the fortress of Meester Cornelius, in unhealthy conditions for nearly eight months.
    They were allowed to leave Java on 22 September 1809
  • A court martial was held on board GLADIATOR in the spring of 1810 which concluded that no blame could be imputed to the captain and that he made every effort to save the lives of the ship's company.
  • Capt. PAKENHAM perished in the SALDANHA frigate at the entrance to Loughswilly on 4 December 1811.

back  |  intro  |  home  |  contact

© 1995, 2007 Michael Phillips