Built in 1781, Deptford DY.
Reduced to 58-gun, 4th rate in 1812.
Broken up in 1815.
- 1782 Capt. Sir H. PARKER, at Portsmouth for home service.
- Commanded in February 1796 and 1797 by Capt. Sir Charles Henry KNOWLES.
- 1797 Capt. T. FOLEY, 08/1797.
- 1799 Mediterranean.
- 1800 Portsmouth - Channel fleet. She, with ELEPHANT, CAPTAIN, GANGES and BRUNSWICK, was detached from the Channel fleet and they arrived at Port Royal, Jamaica, on 26 November. GOLIATH returned to be docked for repairs.
- 1802 Capt. C. BRISBANE, 07/1802, Jamaica station. GOLIATH and CALYPSO escorted a homeward bound convoy in the summer. The fleet was dispersed in a gale off the Western isles on 30 July during which CALYPSO was sunk after being run down by one of the merchantmen with the loss of all on board. GOLIATH delivered her charges to the Downs and arrived at Portsmouth on 26 August.
- On 7 November GOLIATH made the signal for a convoy to the Mediterranean.
- 1803 In the West Indies, with a squadron under Commodore H. W. BAYTUN in CUMBERLAND. Off San Domingo on 28 June Capt. BRISBANE gave chase to two ships which had been sighted by the squadron and was fortunate enough to carry up the breeze to the sternmost, which had got becalmed close under Cape St. Nicholas. She hauled down hwer colours after exchanging a few shot and PROved to be a remarkably fast-sailing ship corvette, the MIGNONNE, of sixteen long 18-pounders (six of which she had landed), commanded by a Capitaine de Fregate J. P. BARGEAUD, with 80 men. She was two days from Les Cayes and on her way to France. The previous evening he sent a boat, manned and armed, after a small schooner and found her to be a Frenchman, asailing from Santiago de Cuba to Port-au-Prince with a cargo of sugar and some 2476 dollars in cash. She had three guns and some swivels mounted.
- In January 1804 GOLIATH was selected by the Admiralty to join HIBERNIA, THUNDERER, PRINCESS ROYAL, PRINCE OF ORANGE and RAISONABLE in PROtecting the coast of Ireland.
- A Dutch West Indiaman with a cargo of coffee, prize to GOLIATH arrived in Plymouth on 30 January 1804.
- GOLIATH, Capt. DIXON, warped out of Cawsand Bay on 23 March and sailed with DEFIANCE to join the fleet off Ferrol. She returned to refit on 18 July.
- On 31 July the officers of GOLIATH gave Capt. BRISBANE a grand dinner at the Pope's Head Inn Hotel. After a round of loyal toasts the evening concluded with 'Rule Britannia' and 'God save the King.'
- 1805 Capt. Robert BARTON, Channel fleet. At the end of 1804 she, with HIBERNIA, THUNDERER, PRINCESS ROYAL, PRINCE OF ORANGE and RAISONABLE, was employed in the defence of the coast of Ireland.
- On 15 August 1805 while standing in for Ferrol in accordance with the orders she had received from Ad. CORNWALLIS on the 11th, GOLIATH fell in with and captured the brig corvette FAUNE (16). She had been chased by CAMILLA, which was in company, since the previous evening and was from Martinique bound to any part of the coast she could make. She had on board 22 men belonging to the BLANCHE (36) which had been taken and burnt by a French squadron in the West Indies on 19 July. The prize was sent into Portsmouth under the charge of CAMILLA.
The following morning, while standing in for Cape Prior, three sail were seen to be in chase of them so GOLIATH tacked and stood towards them. By eight in the evening they had captured the French national corvette LA TORCHE (18) carrying another 52 of BLANCHE's crew. The 44-gun LA TOPAZE escaped in the gathering darkness. The other vessel was probably LE DEPARTEMENT DES LANDES, all four had taken part in the capture of BLANCHE.
- 1807 Repairing at Plymouth. Capt. P. PUGET, Sheerness.
- 1808 Ditto, Baltic expedition.
- 1811 out of commission at Chatham.
Originally a 74 of the smallest class, she was cut down in 1812 to mount twenty-eight long 32-pounders, the same number of 42-pounders carronades, and two long 12-pounders, making 58 guns on two decks.
- 1813 Capt. Frederick Lewis MAITLAND, 06/1813, Halifax and West Indies stations for 12 months, before GOLIATH was found to be very defective and was paid off at Chatham in October 1814.