A |  B |  C |  D |  E |  F |  G |  H |  I |  J |  K |  L |  M |  N |  O |  P |  Q |  R |  S |  T |  U |  V |  W |  X |  Y |  Z

Use quotes like in "Aboukir Bay" to search phrases.
Use * as a wildcard like in "Trafalg*".

GIBRALTAR (80) The Spanish FENIX taken on 16 January 1780 in Lord RODNEY's victory off St. Vincent. Hulk 1813.
  • Capt. MACKENZIE at the beginning of the war.
  • 1794 Capt. John PACKENHAM, 08/1794.
  • 1795 Mediterranean.
    GIBRALTER was with Ad. HOTHAM's fleet off the Hyeres Islands in the early morning of 13 July, when the French fleet was discovered, about 10 miles ahead, steering to the northward.
    For some inexplicable reason Ad. HOTHAM ordered his ships to stand away from the enemy instead of bearing up and they continued under easy sail for an hour while the French stood away towards a friendly port.
    When at last he made the signal to chase the French were a long way ahead.
  • VICTORY, CUMBERLAND, CULLODEN, AGAMEMNON and DEFENCE, by cramming on all sail, managed to catch up with the enemy by noon, and forced the French ALCIDE to strike.
    Two hours later, as BLENHEIM, GIBRALTAR, CAPTAIN and some others, were closing with the rear ships of the enemy and about to open fire, Ad. HOTHAM made the recall signal and they were forced to watch the enemy sail unmolested into Frejus Bay.
    ALCIDE blew up accidentally and was destroyed.
  • 1797 Capt. Hancock KELLY, 07/1797, Channel.
  • 1799 Lisbon.
    In February 1800 she tailed on shore in Finisterre Bay and lost her rudder but she swung off without much damage when the tide turned. She sailed from Plymouth to join the Channel fleet on 7 June.
  • In 1801 GIBRALTAR was with Sir John WARREN's squadron in the Mediterranean.
    Early in the year Ad. Gantheaume escaped from Brest and reached Toulon on 19 February.
    Sir John lost no time in proceeding up the Mediterranean with the intention of following them, should they make a push for Egypt.
    He sailed from Minorca on 24 February after re-fitting his ships there, but had to put back the following day after the squadron was badly damaged in a gale.
    He left Port Mahon again on 4 March and made for, first, Palermo, and then the Bay of Naples.
    While he sailing towards Toulon on 25 March SALAMINE informed him that the French had sailed six days before.
    The following morning the squadron fell in with the enemy between Sardinia and Maritimo but, although they gave chase, the French escaped to the northward in the foggy weather.
    Sir John then set course for Alexandria and joined up with Lord KEITH on 20 April.
  • 1802 Mediterranean.
    In August GIBRALTAR, TRIUMPH and DRAGON were laying at Gibraltar waiting to return home but a frigate was dispatched with orders for their further stay.
  • On 6 October GIBRALTAR, DRAGON, TRIUMPH, SUPERB and RENOWN received the orders to sail from Gibraltar to Malta to rejoin Admiral BICKERTON in KENT.
    The crew of GIBRALTAR, expressing a desire to sail to the westward, took possession of the ship and ran her under the sterns of the others, cheering them in the hope that the other crews would join them.
    When they were disappointed in this the mutineers became panic struck and they were easily subdued by the officers and the marines of the ship under Capt. Johnston.
    The two ringleaders were taken on board DRAGON, tried and executed on GIBRALTAR.
    Shortly afterwards Capt. KELLY was dismissed for having confined and then liberated, without a court martial, four seamen who had been guilty of mutiny.
    He was replaced by Capt. BRIGGS of the MADRAS.
    HOUND brought home the news of the mutiny when she arrived at Portsmouth on 5 January.
  • 1803 From May a squadron consisting of KENT, DONNEGAL, SUPERB, TRIUMPH, MONMOUTH, GIBRALTAR, AGINCOURT, BELLEISLE, RENOWN and the frigates MEDUSA and AMPHION cruised off Toulon.
    Every day they were within two miles of a French fleet consisting of eight sail-of-the line and five frigates.
  • 1804 Capt. RYVES.
    In June-July GIBRALTAR returned home with a convoy from the Mediterranean and escorted them as far as the Downs.
    On 5 August she was paid off at Portsmouth and her men drafted to AJAX and GLORY.
    Because she was drawing so much water she went into dock for a much needed refit.
  • 1805 under repair at Portsmouth.
  • 1807 Capt. PUGET, Channel fleet.
    Capt. John HALLIDAY, later in the year.
  • 1808 Capt. H. L. BALL, Channel.
    GIBRALTAR was with Lord GAMBIER in the attack on the French fleet in the Basque roads during April 1809.
    Her first lieutenant, John COOKSLEY, commanded one of the fire ships on 11 April.
    Capt. George WELLS of AIGLE stated at Lord GAMBIER's court martial that he saw Lieut. COOKSLEY run on board a two-decker (the VILLE DE VARSOVIE) before firing his vessel, although the French officers said later that they had cut and run aground to avoid the fire ships.
    John CONYERS, master's mate, who was GIBRALTER's only casualty, was badly scorched in the face and hands.
  • 1811 Capt. Robert PLAMPIN, off Brest.
    In 1813 Capt. George SCOTT commanded GIBRALTAR for a few weeks.
  • 1815

back  |  intro  |  home  |  contact

© 1995, 2007 Michael Phillips