A |  B |  C |  D |  E |  F |  G |  H |  I |  J |  K |  L |  M |  N |  O |  P |  Q |  R |  S |  T |  U |  V |  W |  X |  Y |  Z

Use quotes like in "Aboukir Bay" to search phrases.
Use * as a wildcard like in "Trafalg*".

DRAKE (14) The French privateer LE TIGRE taken in 1800.
Wrecked in 1804.

  • 1803 William FERRIS, Leeward Is.
  • On 14 November 1803 14 seamen from DRAKE and 60 from BLENHEIM, accompanied by the SWIFT cutter, attacked the French privateer cutter HARMONIE in Marin Harbour, in the Bay of St. Ann Martinique.
    The whole operation was under the orders of Capt. FERRIS.
  • Meanwhile the marines from BLENHEIM seized Fort Dunkirk commanding the harbour, taking prisoners and spiking the battery of nine guns.
    The schooner was boarded under fire losing 2 killed and 14 wounded out of her crew of 66.
    The British losses were 1 man killed and 5 wounded, 3 from DRAKE.
    The enemy left 2 men dead and 14 wounded, the rest jumping into the sea.
    Fifty guinea swords were awarded to all the officers by the Patriotic Fund.
  • At the beginning of 1804 Capt. FERRIS moved to BLENHEIM as acting captain while Lieut. Samuel W. KING, first of CENTAUR, commanded DRAKE.
    On the night of 19 February, Lieut. COMPSTON and Mr ROBSON, master, volunteered to bring three American vessels out of the harbour of Trinite in the north part of Martinique, where they were taking in cargoes in defiance of the blockade.
    Under heavy fire from a fort within pistol-shot they managed to get possession of two brigs and a schooner but, through lack of wind they could only bring out the schooner.
    Five days later a party of 21 men and 9 marines was landed at night and succeeded in spiking the guns, three 32 pounders, and the two field pieces which commanded the entrance to the fort.
    One seaman died of his wounds and Lieut. COMPSTON and one seaman were each wounded in the arm.
  • On the morning of 14 March DRAKE was off Englishman's Head in Guadeloupe when a French privateer schooner with a large ship, her prize, in company.
    When the ship ran on shore near the batteries at the Haye, Lieut. KING attempted to cut off the schooner but he was prevented from doing so when his main-top was shot away and the wind dropped.
  • When another ship was seen in the offing, apparently intending to run ashore, he made sail after her, leaving two boats under Mr ROBSON, the Master, to watch the first ship.
    As the boats approached, the enemy abandoned her, leaving only one man who did not have time to get in the boats.
    They took possession but after about half an hour she blew up, killing a Master's Mate, three seamen and one marine.
    Mr ROBSON died of his wounds a few hours later.
    The second ship, which was recaptured, proved to be the ENTERPRIZE of Bideford, which had been taken by the DECIDE.
  • In April DRAKE took part in the reduction of Surinam.
    The EMERALD frigate pushed in over the bar and anchored close to a battery of seven 18-pounders. She was closely followed by Capts.
    The fort was silenced by a few broadsides after the ships had anchored, and 45 officers and men were captured by the 64th. regiment.
    When the Dutch refusal to surrender the colony was received on the 28th., the ships moved up the river, the EMERALD, with Commodore HOOD and Brig. Gen. Hughes on board, passing through the mud in three feet less than she drew.
    The various forts and redoubts were captured and, when preparations were made to attack Fort Amsterdam, the Dutch surrendered on 5 May.
  • In September 1804 DRAKE grounded on a shoal off Nevis, Jamaica and was wrecked.
    All the crew were saved.

back  |  intro  |  home  |  contact

© 1995, 2007 Michael Phillips