A |  B |  C |  D |  E |  F |  G |  H |  I |  J |  K |  L |  M |  N |  O |  P |  Q |  R |  S |  T |  U |  V |  W |  X |  Y |  Z

Use quotes like in "Aboukir Bay" to search phrases.
Use * as a wildcard like in "Trafalg*".

CLYDE (38) Built in 1796, Chatham (built of fir).
Rebuilt in 1806 at Woolwich.
Sold in 1814.

  • Capt. Charles CUNNINGHAM, 06/1796. Plymouth.
    On 20 August 1799 CLYDE captured the French frigate VESTALE in the mouth of the Garonne, the French crew had lost a number to yellow fever and many were ill.
  • When AGAMEMNON struck on the Penmark Rocks on 18 March 1800 CLYDE escorted her into Falmouth. On 13 June she arrived in Plymouth from Quiberon Bay with dispatches from Earl ST. VINCENT and sailed to rejoin the fleet on the 27th.
  • During a cruise between August and October 1800 Capt. CUNNINGHAM burnt the Spanish letter of marque DEUX AMIS, which had been on passage between Vera Cruz and Santander, in the harbour of St. Vincent. He also captured the Spanish packet EL BELAS which was carrying dispatches (which had been thrown overboard) from Havana to Coruna together with a valuable cargo of cocoa and indigo. The prize arrived in Plymouth on the 22 August.
    Another prize, the ROSE, a French schooner from Bordeaux bound for Guadeloupe with wines and brandies, was sent in on 4 October.
    MAGICIENNE a French letter of marque schooner arrived on 10 October with gum and ivory from Senegal.
    CLYDE returned to Plymouth on 22 October towing the badly damaged Guineaman DICK (*) which she had rescued from the French privateer GRAND DECIDE. Capt. CUNNINGHAM entered the wounded seamen as supernumeraries aboard his own ship so that they could be treated in the Royal Naval Hospital. The privateer was taken by FISGARD.

    (*) DICK, mounting twenty 4 and 6-pounders, had sailed from Liverpool on 6 October for the coast of Africa under the command of Capt. Grahme. They encountered the privateer, which was armed with twenty-two 9 and 12-pounders, on the 15th. and, after a fight lasting more than 7 hours through the afternoon and evening, were forced to strike with Capt. Grahme and ten of his crew of 42 wounded and every gun dismounted. The captain was struck by a canister shot which took away part of his skull and died on board the privateer six days later. Thirty-nine Frenchmen were killed or wounded.

back  |  intro  |  home  |  contact

© 1995, 2007 Michael Phillips