A |  B |  C |  D |  E |  F |  G |  H |  I |  J |  K |  L |  M |  N |  O |  P |  Q |  R |  S |  T |  U |  V |  W |  X |  Y |  Z

Use quotes like in "Aboukir Bay" to search phrases.
Use * as a wildcard like in "Trafalg*".

CARYSFORT (28) 6th rate Built in 1766, Sheerness DY.
Sold in 1813.

  • She was launched on 23 August by William GRAT, master shipwright. On 24th. of October she was damaged at Plymouth by the John & Philip, John Williams, master, from Leghorn, running into her stern as she entered Stansgate Creek. Her owner, John Moorshead of Plymouth refused to pay for the damage, saying that it was caused when the BRILLIANT was running into the Catwater in distress. CARYSFORT's Boatswain and Carpenter both said that the John & Philip's pilot was at fault.
  • 1767 Capt. George VANDEPUT, Sheerness. Fitting out for the Mediterranean. John TULL appointed master.
  • On 8th. August he was ready to proceed to the Nore and to sea, arrived at Spithead on 25th. August and sailed for St. Helen's on the 31st. In September in Plymouth Sound. October - Gibraltar, where he requested a new master sailmaker, John STURT, who had been appointed, had run. December - Cadiz.
  • In May 1769 he was presented to the German Emperor at Leghorn, and after his return to England he was appointed in 1770 to the SOLEBAY.
  • 1778 Capt FANSHAW, with Major-General Grey and an army detachment, destroyed twenty-four of the enemy's armed vessels and boats at Martha's Vineyard and in the adjacent harbours and creeks.
  • 1795 Capt. F. LAFOREY.
  • 1795 Capt. J. MURRAY, 03/1795.
  • 1797 Capt. C. EKINS, 01/1797.Capt. J. ALEXANDER, 03/1797. Capt. John TURNER, 09/1797. East Indies.
  • 1800 Re-fitting at Portsmouth.
  • 1801 Capt. Adam DRUMMOND, Portsmouth.
    At the end of June CARYSFORT and ARGO sailed with transports carrying the 85th. regiment and 40 of the artillery. Contrary winds forced them to put into Torbay on 11 July. CARYSFORT returned from Madeira on 2 December. She sailed again on 26 January 1802 to cruise after smugglers and returned on 26 February. The flying squadron against smugglers consisted of CARYSFORT, IMOGENE, ROSARIO and PETEREL, and was under the command of Capt. KING in SIRIUS.
    Between March and July CARYSFORT operated from Portsmouth.
  • 1802 Capt. George MUNDY, 05/1802, Portsmouth.
    Mr W. DIAMOND, Boatswain of the CARYSFORT was tried by court martial at Portsmouth on 18 June 1802 for absenting himself without leave. He was found guilty and dismissed the ship.
  • On 1 August she returned to Plymouth to be paid off all standing and immediately re-commissioned, and went into the Barn Pool on the 6th. to have her rigging overhauled.
    Capt. MUNDY removed to HYDRA at the end of the year.
  • 1803 Capt. Robert FANSHAWE, Sheerness for the West Indies.
    On 26 March 1804 CARYSFORT sailed from Cork with APOLLO and 69 sail of merchantmen under convoy for the West Indies. When the wind shifted during the evening of 1 April CARYSFORT and about 30 of the merchantmen wore and thus avoided the fate of APOLLO and the remaining vessels which were wrecked on the Portuguese coast.
  • Following the death of Capt. FANSHAWE in 1804 Commodore HOOD made Capt. M'KENZIE post in CARYSFORT.
  • 1805 Capt. Kenneth M'KENZIE, Leeward Is.
    He had been badly wounded the previous year while commanding HIPPOMENES but had to wait until June 1815 to obtain a wound pension of 250 pounds. He died aged 45 in 1824.
  • By daylight on the morning of 24 March 1806 CARYSFORT had been chasing a brig for 30 hours 170 miles N. E. of Martinique when AGAMEMNON was seen to leeward. She successfully blocked the brig's escape and forced the enemy surrender. The brig proved to be the French national vessel LUTINE, commanded by Crocquet Dechauteurs, which was 33 days out from L'Orient bound for Martinique. A new vessel she mounted 18 guns, two of which were thrown overboard during the chase, and, according to Capt. BERRY of AGAMEMNON well calculated for his Majesty's service. She was indeed taken into the Royal Navy as HAWK.
  • In July 1806 sixty-five deeply laden merchantmen at St. Kitts were saved from destruction when a letter from Capt. CARTARET of SCORPION warned him that a French squadron under Rear Ad. Willaumez had arrived at Martinique. CARYSFORT ran to leeward with his charges and escaped the enemy who had sailed from Fort Royal on 1 July. When the French reached St. Kitts, they only succeeded in capturing 7 merchantmen which had missed the convoy; 9 others were protected by the fort on Brimstone Hill and a battery on the beach.
  • 1807 In ordinary at Deptford.

back  |  intro  |  home  |  contact

© 1995, 2007 Michael Phillips