A |  B |  C |  D |  E |  F |  G |  H |  I |  J |  K |  L |  M |  N |  O |  P |  Q |  R |  S |  T |  U |  V |  W |  X |  Y |  Z

Use quotes like in "Aboukir Bay" to search phrases.
Use * as a wildcard like in "Trafalg*".

AEOLUS (32) Built in 1758, Deptford. 0ne of the first batch of "proper" frigates in the Royal Navy. Constructed to carry her guns on a single deck.
Broken up in 1801.

  • 1758 Capt. John ELLIOT.
    0n 15 March 1759, in company with ISIS (50) she fell in with four French frigates escorting a coastal convoy. Three of them stood between them and the convoy and ISIS made sail after one to cut them all off from the shore. The remaining two attacked AEOLUS. LA BLONDE (36) cut AEOLUS' running-rigging and returned to the convoy but ELLIOT, making quick repairs, was able to to catch the other, the 20-gun LA MIGNONNE, and force her to strike. AEOLUS had only two men wounded but the French losses were heavy.
  • He was lying in Kinsale on 14 February with PALLAS and BRILLIANT when the lord-lieutenant of Ireland sent word that Thurot's squadron was off Carrickfergus. He sailed with the utmost dispatch and two days later was off Carrickfergus where, the wind being contrary, he was unable to get in. However, being given intelligence of the enemy's course, he set off in pursuit and, discovering M. Thurot at 4 o'clock on the morning of the 28th., gave chase, and about five hours later, brought the French to action. After an hour and a half the BELLEISLE and her two companions surrendered with more than three hundred killed and wounded, including M. Thurot. AEOLUS had four killed and the British squadron 31 wounded. BELLEISLE was much damaged in her masts and hull and it was with great difficulty that they managed to get her into Ramsey Bay in the Isle of Man without her foundering. However, by 10 March the ships had been re-fitted and the prizes and the squadron taken to Kinsale.
    By the 26th. they were at Spithead where Capt. ELLIOT was presented to the king. AEOLUS was sent out on a cruise in the Bay of Biscay and during May cut out a French brig laden with naval stores from under a strong battery on Belleisle. On his return to port Capt. Elliot was appointed to the command of GOSPORT (40), while AEOLUS was under repair. In 1761 he was back in command of the frigate and on 23 March captured a French privateer called LE CARNAVAL with four carriage guns and 64 men.
    On his return he was promoted to the CHICHESTER (70).
  • 1761 Capt. William Lord HOTHAM.
    AEOLUS continued to be employed for the remainder of the war as as a cruiser in the Channel and off the coast of France. In February 1762 he captured two small French privateers from Bayonne, LE PIERRE (6), with a crew of 80, and L‘ESPERANCE (6), with a crew of 60. He also recaptured a valuable ship from Jamaica. In April AEOLUS and BRILLIANT captured two more small privateers and and recaptured a ship bound from Maryland to London. At the end of August Capt. HOTHAM drove two large Spanish West-Indiamen into Aviles Bay near Cape Pinas.
  • On 2 September he entered the bay, drove them on shore and anchored in such a position that he could fire on both the largest ship and a shore battery, to such good effect that the enemy abandoned both. The marines were landed to spike the battery's guns. However Lieut. PAISLEY, who was sent to take possession of the prize, which was laden with hides and cocoa from Caraccas, found that she was bilged and fast aground, so he set her on fire. She was the ST. JOSEPH, pierced for 60 guns but only had 32 mounted.
  • On 20th. August Capt. HOTHAM captured a valuable ship called the FORMIDABLE from Bordeaux bound for San Domingo, which he sent into Plymouth. On the 22nd of the same month he encountered a French convoy of four transports escorted by one ship of the line and three frigates. Capt. HOTHAM followed at a safe distance for five days, hoping to meet some British ships, but none appeared and he was forced to return to England. Peace being declared AEOLUS was put out of commission.
  • On 2 September 1762 he chased two Spanish treasure ships into Avis Bay, causing them to run aground under a battery. The battery was silenced but the larger ship had to be burned and the other escaped during the night. In the same month she captured a French West Indiaman.
  • 1776 Capt. Christopher ATKINS, Jamaica.
    Assisted in the capture of French PRUDENTE (36) on 2 June 1779.
  • 1780, off Portugal.
  • 1782 Capt. H. COLINS, escorting convoy from Newfoundland to Lisbon.
  • 1796 Harbour Service.
  • 1799 Renamed Guernsey.
  • Broken up in 1801.

back  |  intro  |  home  |  contact

© 1995, 2007 Michael Phillips